Is it confusing to have a mobile app called Groups?

Bronze Contributor

I have been getting used to the idea that a Group is more of a security/access construct that gives you access to various tools - Teams, Planners, Discussions, Files, etc.

So in that light, does it make sense to have a Groups app that contains some of these services but not all?

I am debating how heavily to promote the use of the Groups app on mobile, thoughts or your experience appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.

3 Replies
Yes, it is confusing. Now that Groups functionality is inside Outlook the mobile app will probably disappear.
It's all a bit disjointed to be honest. We just have to hold on for the rollercoaster ride of apps and services, and at some point they will come together and settle (before spinning off again).
Hi Rob, what are the key scenarios you want your users to engage with? The current list of supported scenarios are different in Outlook Groups vs. groups in Outlook Mobile, and we are building more into Outlook Mobile.

Very confusing to the end-user. It's one of the biggest pain points I have when speaking to users about the suite of mobile apps. The fact that Groups is configured as a service but packaged (both mobile, client and web) as a psuedo app, makes no sense to the end user. I have to whiteboard a diagram to explain the difference between Groups and Teams...every time! And everytime I know I've already lost a percent of potential users the minute I have to pick up a dry erase pen. Outside of enthusiasts and early adopter, it's easier to chose to use neither product than wrap your head around the differences.