SOLVED

Hide Group email from global address list

Copper Contributor

I have some o365 groups created though sds for classroom.

The groups are private but they appear in the global address list.

Is there a way to prevent this and hide them? 

23 Replies

@Christophe Fiessinger 

Thanks for the reply, and direction,

I just created a Support Ticket with Microsoft

It is very strange. As we have similar O365 MailBox groups and they get hidden with similar PS command or the UI one.

But this one behaves differently.

One thing I found a discrepancy though in properties, it was addresslistmembership property.

Other O365 mailbox group has:

Get-UnifiedGroup -Identity "ABC" | select -ExpandProperty addresslistmembership

\All Recipients(VLV)

\All Groups(VLV)

\GroupMailboxes(VLV)

but this one has much more extra:

Get-UnifiedGroup -Identity "DEF" | select -ExpandProperty addresslistmembership

\All Groups

\Offline Global Address List

\All Distribution Lists

\Groups(VLV)

\Default Global Address List

\All Recipients(VLV)

\GroupMailboxes(VLV)

\All Groups(VLV)

If I manually change the addressListMembership property and make it similar to the other ones that is working fine, does it help? does it have any wider impact that I should be aware of?

Any thoughts?

@Christophe Fiessinger I thought to give an update here and express my thanks for the direction and advice.

Problem was raised with Microsoft, their engineer did a great job, we worked along, ran diagnostics on their end that fixed the issue. So it was just a bad O365 Mailbox creation and/or the property 

addresslistmembership was not being synced properly.

All in all, that scripting command works like a charm if you needed to hide your O365 email address from GAL.

Ali

In this uservoice:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18706228-prevent-team-from-sho...

it states:

Based on customer feedback, new Office 365 Groups generated as a result of creating a team in Microsoft Teams will no longer show in Outlook by default.

Well... that was in 2018 & now in 2021, I still have O365 groups showing by default in Outlook when Teams are created.

So what is the actual default (or is it something that needs to be set somewhere?)

Seb

edit

Still no idea about the default, but I hide them (or unhide) with PS

Connect-ExchangeOnline -UserPrincipalName email address removed for privacy reasons -ShowBanner:$false
$Groups = Get-UnifiedGroup -ResultSize Unlimited | ? {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "Some_common_name_good_for_ie_teams_created_from_MIS*"}
Foreach ($Group in $Groups) {Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity $Group.Name -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $false}

Here is a good way to do this in bulk

export a list and put in the text file all the groups you want to hide and run this

gc .\gal.txt | Set-UnifiedGroup -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true