SOLVED

Having Issue Setting GroupCreationAllowedGroupId

Deleted
Not applicable

I was able to create a template and apply nearly all the settings but GroupCreationAllowedGroupId. I didn't have any issue with my test environment. In production, powershell

throws no errors but everytime I run Get-AzureADDirectorySetting | ForEach Values, GroupCreationAllowedGroupId is blank. I verified the group to manage groups creation is in Azure AD. Below are the commands I have been using.

$group = Get-AzureADGroup | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq “O365-GroupsAllowed”}
$settings = Get-AzureADDirectorySetting | where-object {$_.displayname -eq “Group.Unified”}
$settings["GroupCreationAllowedGroupId"] = $group.ObjectId
Set-AzureADDirectorySetting -Id $settings.Id -DirectorySetting $settings

Any ideas?

6 Replies

What kind of Group are you using, it cannot be an O365 Group. Other than that, without being able to see the full output, it's a guessing game. Maybe try configuring the setting via the MSOL cmdlets instead?

It is a security group.

best response
Solution

It could be the Get-AzureADGroup call. The | Where-object clause iterates through all returned group objects to find the group you’re looking for. By default, Get-AzureADGroup returns only the first 100 objects in a directory. So if the group you’re looking for isn’t there, the statement will not return a value for ObjectId.

To get all group objects, try using Get-AzureADGroup -All $True

@Drew Madelung I was able to set the GroupCreationAllowedGroupID but after 48 hours of waiting, the people in that group are still not able to create groups. All the other settings have been applied such as the data classifications, usage guidelines, and group creation(false). I verfied the ObjectID in the template and in Azure matched up, that all looks good. I am not sure what is going on.

Found out after wasting a day or so that the Azure AD setting and the MSOL setting are not the same.  You have to enable the MSOL setting in order for the Azure AD setting to take effect.  If you have group creation turned off via MSOL (set-msolcompanysettings -UsersPermissionToCreateGroupsEnabled $false), the Azure AD settings and specifically the override group will not take effect.  In this scenario global admins can create groups but no one else can.

Did you set any Group restriction settings directly in the Azure AD portal?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

It could be the Get-AzureADGroup call. The | Where-object clause iterates through all returned group objects to find the group you’re looking for. By default, Get-AzureADGroup returns only the first 100 objects in a directory. So if the group you’re looking for isn’t there, the statement will not return a value for ObjectId.

To get all group objects, try using Get-AzureADGroup -All $True

View solution in original post