Guest Access Calendars and Mobile App

Iron Contributor

We want to use Groups to allow external guests to have access to a diary that is used between guests and internal staff.

It doesnt look like theres a way for guests to see the group diary at present, unless im wrong?

According to the blog post about guest access, they should be able to use the mobile app too, but that only allows O365 users to sign in.

Am I too eager, or am I missing something. Both of these features would make Groups a winning option for us.

6 Replies
You do sound quiet eager, but that's a good thing.
Can you send some screenshots of what the guests see when they access the group? I haven't tested external group access myself.

Thanks Matthew for reaching out!

When you say Group diary, do you mean Group OneNote? Guest can access Group OneNote. On sharing a Group OneNote link to guest user, guests should be able to use that.

As of now Guests cannot login into mobile app. However you as a group member can add guests through mobile app & recieve guests posts. We take this as a feedback & incorporate in our planning.

Pretty sure @Matt Jenkinson means Calendar by diary, not OneNote.

Guest access to the Groups app would be helpful for us, too.

Yes my appologies. I was refering to the calendar.

I've attached 2 pics. One logged in as company user, one as external guest.

You will see that the guest does not get access to the calendar, which seems a bit odd....

Thanks Matthew for the feedback! Currently we dont support guest users accessing calendar. I will keep this as a datapoint for our planning.

However you can send event invites to guest users and they can add it in their calendar. 

Essentially the reason why you run into the issue with the calendar is that guest access is built on top of SharePoint sharing. This is why when a guest user accesses a group, they see a modified version of the Files interface and can work with documents. However, the same kind of external access is not available for Exchange mailboxes, which is where conversations and the calendar are held. Therefore, although guest users can participate in conversations via email, they cannot connect to the mailbox to browse conversations and interact with conversations "directly". For the same reason, they can't access the calendar folder in the group mailbox.