Group SP Site (Group image/logo Not Updating)

Silver Contributor

We have several groups we are working with, all have had a group image applied, but the Group Image doesnt seem to propogate to the connected SharePoint site (just get the colored background with two letters).

Should the image populate automatically, or is this the expected behavior and SharePoint Site logos have to be manually set?  

53 Replies
It's not just the default logo (= Group Initials) though.
Even though I manually update the group image for older groups in Outlook the the web, they still not propagate to SharePoint.

I have the same issue as Ivan.  It does not work for older groups.

Could you please advise if someone is working on this as we are trying to add different companies loggos to some old groups.

Thanks

I'm following up on this issue.

Forgive me if I am wrong but we seem to have suddenly digressed. For most of thread the discussion has been about the inconsistent appearance of Office365 Group icons across the suite. Mainly the Office365 Group icon not showing correctly in SharePoint.

Suddenly you seem to be referring to default user photos and the default image for those.

Is that a related issue?

The new issue brought up is that in addition to the default photo not syncing seems like if new logo is uploaded by user it does not sync to SP. We have verified this is a bug and are working on fixing it. Please stay tuned.

Thank you @Ivan Unger for including the SR # in this thread!

I have confirmation that the issue has been resolved and is now propogating out to all tenants with an eta of 4/10.

Thank you again for your patience - Sheryl

@Sheryl Nolan wrote:

Thank you @Ivan Unger for including the SR # in this thread!

I have confirmation that the issue has been resolved and is now propogating out to all tenants with an eta of 4/10.

Thank you again for your patience - Sheryl

Hi, is it possible that the fix is not yet fully rolled out? I forgot how fast the SharePoint Icon should update when changed. After almost 24h it has not yet updated in my case.

*EDIT* the icon just changed. It might have been close to 24h until the SharePoint Icon changed.

I know this is a few months old, but I wanted to quickly confirm. If you change the icon in Microsoft Teams or in the Outlook Group, after about 24 hours the new icon will (magically) appear in the SharePoint site associated with that Microsoft Teams/Outlook Group?

Hypothetically yes. I typically see changes within a minute as of late.

@Maithili Dandige wrote:

The new issue brought up is that in addition to the default photo not syncing seems like if new logo is uploaded by user it does not sync to SP. We have verified this is a bug and are working on fixing it. Please stay tuned.

Hey @Maithili Dandige and @Sheryl Nolan, has this been really fixed? Doesn't seem so. I just created an O365 group and changed the logo. It did not sync to the associated SP team site. I've now waited for around 2 hours and it still shows the default "initials" logo. So now OWA shows one logo (new) and SP shows another (default).

You may not see the change in SP for 24 hours, most of which is browser caching. Clearing your browser cache should cut that to 1 hour.

@Brian Van Eimeren wrote:
You may not see the change in SP for 24 hours, most of which is browser caching. Clearing your browser cache should cut that to 1 hour.

Got it. Thanks a ton. It wasn't 24 hours though, it took 3 days! But, yes it's now updated on the SP team site.

It took me some investigation hours to recap new design of groups manaegd out of Outlook and Mail 365, forced by tickets of my clients complaining that external  sharing is broken.

Btw: Share and and manage external users can't be managed anymore out SharePoint sites, use Outlook or 365 Mail online.

So let's focus on bright future and not on bad app continuity management of MS as provider, no I don't read every service update  ;)

It took here between about 20 hours until SharePoint site logo was updated.

Wow, 3 days. Ok I spent the last 1hr trying to figure out how to do this with a Office365 Group and changing the logo for the SharePoint Online page.

I must say, SharePoint Online is a half-baked product.

I have two findings I like to add:

If pictures don't show up, go to the Site Assets library and delete the __siteIcon__.jpg & png and within minutes the system will have updated them again.

Another thing I learned is that if you add pictures with transparency the site icon will turn black.

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

I tend have the most success with 256x256 png. I just had it fail on me for an image that was 151x151, so I resized it to 256x256 worked fine. 

@Jesper Simonsen same here. anything i try and updates, after few days it goes back to the jpg with background color. Please MSFT this is a mess, just let us be able to upload any logo that fits our business and org, especially  allow us both png & jpg,  b/s only png does keep the transparency, and the SP doesn't allow PNg. well, in our case our logo is rectangular, and I am not able to use 64*64, even if i crop some character bust still ugly & very squeezed   , 

preferable if you allow both rectangular & square

preferable if we able to use PNG ( it help us to use transparent picture)

@StefanGagnon that should be communication site

@Brent Ellis 

I am seeing the same behavior and I have been fighting with it for days.  This is horrible, I cannot deliver a (OOTB) out of the box solution to the customer, let alone a custom one.   Nothing out of the box works the way it is documented and randomly executes its own behavior.  This regardless of what size the image or any of its attributes or properties.  I am using the modernUI Change the Look => Header => Site logo => Change.   Then save of course..

1. First it was the translucent background that worked but then randomly changed to black background on its own once the site icon was in place.  I eventually changed it to a common background that was the same as the rest of the site to hide it.
  2. Later for whatever reason about a week from that  it changed on its own to https://some_site/sites/some_site_collection/_api/GroupService/GetGroupImage?id=%2759deda41-79a3-443f-bce3-70f8da4f9924%27&hash=636928672156641901
  3. Changing it in the old Title, description and icon location /_layouts/prjsetng.aspx worked for a moment then it would change back to item in line number two.
  4. I changed the group icon from inside outlook and it never updated except in outlook.  It is still doing the same thing as line item two.  This appears to be a REST call for what reason or purpose I have no idea.
Are you using a PNG or jpg?
I noticed that when you use a PNG with an alpha layer it will auto convert it to jpg and change the alpha to black.
Wat h what happens when you go to the teams SharePoint site, site contents, site assets. You will probably see two image files for the site icon. If that's the case, modify your image to not have alpha (I know not ideal right?) Or save as jpg so that it wont convert it. Very strange that it does this. You should be able to upload from teams or sp site info once you have modified your image.