Group SP Site (Group image/logo Not Updating)

Silver Contributor

We have several groups we are working with, all have had a group image applied, but the Group Image doesnt seem to propogate to the connected SharePoint site (just get the colored background with two letters).

Should the image populate automatically, or is this the expected behavior and SharePoint Site logos have to be manually set?  

53 Replies

@SharePoint1968 The logo on a group site is controlled by the group. The old prjsetng.aspx page doesn't know about the group, so it won't update the group logo and any change you make there will soon be overwritten by the group (the same goes for the title and description).

That /_api/GroupService/GetGroupImage call basically goes to Exchange for the group logo, but with a cache in the Site Assets library (the __siteIcon__.jpg and/or .png file). If you delete the cache from Site Assets, it will return a temporary placeholder and kick off an async request to Exchange for the real logo. Normally you can just reload the page after a few seconds and see that it updated. If you're seeing a permanent placeholder, then it's possible that Exchange doesn't have the logo either, or SharePoint can't talk to Exchange to get it.

@MDEL90_El 

You mean there's different behaviour with a team site versus a communications site? I'm not sure what you mean. I was just explaining how you could get around the group image problem by manipulating the icons in the site assets library. 

@MDEL90_El wrote:

@StefanGagnon that should be communication site

@Brent Ellis 

Wow 2.7+ years later and this still hasn't been resolved.  I have the same issue today.  I can update the group logo but it's corresponding SharePoint site remains a colored square with intials.

I have the same issue. Some SP sites lost their site logo. Nothing mention on health dashboard. I've submitted the issue on the health dashboard....

@Martin Coupal 

Same issue here.

SharePoint sites losing their logo. I'm not sure, but It seems the problem occurs when we disable the visibility of the Office 365 Group in Outlook. 

Set-UnifiedGroup GroupName -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$true 

@Angelo Lelieveld 

Same here....problem still exists. I built a new Team in Teams, and generated a Sharepoint site from it yesterday.

I tried to:  change the look>header>site logo, added a JPG, clicked save.

It responded, then disappeared within the hour during a refresh of the browser.

@phanley2000 We are having the same issue. The image in Teams has updated, but the image on the corresponding SharePoint Online site will not update.

Site users are not happy.

@Julie Rinder This is truly unfortunate. It seems like more of a trivial fix than a code revision. Come on MS!

There is a known issue when the group is hidden in Exchange. My previous reply in this thread explains a little of how the logo works and that while it is cached on the site, it's really stored in Exchange. It turns out that when Exchange hides the group, they really hide the group. And SharePoint is calling through an API layer which is technically an Exchange client -- just the sort of thing that should not be able to see the group. So any attempt from SharePoint to read or write the logo is basically ignored by Exchange, and writes only set the cached logo on the site (until the cache expires and it's time to fail to read the logo from Exchange again).

Even though the issue is simple on the surface, it really is a matter of architecture and design, as so many cross-service things are.

@Brian Van Eimeren So if one creates a Team in Teams, then exports it to Sharepoint, with no prior origin in Exchange, this will still be a problem? Therefore, Teams is also based on Exchange, and thus, we're really created a group in Exchange when we build a Team in Teams? 

@phanley2000 When you create a Team, Teams goes and creates a group (in AAD) to back it. All Office 365 Groups live in AAD. Groups have resources in other services: a group can have a mailbox, a site, a Team, a Yammer group, and so on.

So while you didn't use exactly the right words, I think the answer to your question is yes -- when you create a Team, it does get a mailbox among other things.

Renaming my image __siteIcon__.png and replacing the asset file fixed my issue.

@Brian Van Eimeren , I agree the architecture seems very complicated. It feels like Office 365 global architecture is a glue of multiple architecture performed by different teams. Maybe this is why it is so hard to set a logo...

Hi @Brent Ellis ,

Try clearing the browser memory.  I have had this a few times and clearing the browser memory seemed to work.   Today I also closed the browser I was working in (Edge) and opened the sharepoint site in another browser (Chrome) and this time the logo changed successfully.