Governance and vision

Copper Contributor

Good day everyone,

Office 365 groups are now used for pretty much everything today in Office 365. And i'm sure i'm not the only one facing the same issue. My question is not really technical but more on trying to understand what the vision should be around office 365 groups.

When you get a new tenant created, everyone is allowed to created groups. So we get users creating things without understanding the implications. Some users believe it's used as a personal distribution group, so as an admin, the first thing we do is block the creation of groups by regular users. 

We then decide on naming conventions (because admins love naming conventions) so when we need a group for PowerBi, we have it start by "BI", when it's Teams, it's starts with "Team" and so on and so forth. 

I'm at a point where i question my own behavior. 

I login on PowerBi and instead of seeing a list of workspaces that makes sense, i see all the office 365 groups i'm a member of. I use a Team for my team, but then should i create another group for Stream, PowerBi, Project or Planner ?

So my question is what should be the best use of office 365 groups ? should we have a group linked to an app, should we have a group link to a team of users, but then we dont really know what this group is used for. 

I dont think there is a definite answer but i'd love to hear how other organisations deal with this.

3 Replies

@Bert_tbYou wouldn't want to create a different Office 365 Group for each service.  An Office 365 Group by default has access to all of them.  I would question your naming scheme because all of your "BI -" teams have SharePoint sites, Planners, and Teams chat functionality.

Our Office 365 Groups are named based on the group of users using them.  For example, Accounting has an Office 365 Group that unifies all the Office 365 services they use.

@Thomas_Randall 

Thank you for your input. What you're saying makes sense. But i wouldn't know how to manage this.

Let's pretend i have an Office 365 group for accounting.

In the accounting department, some need to have access to Planner, some need to access to PowerBI, and others need access to project. How do you manage if within the same group, users dont have access to the same resources.

How do you manage security if some users need access to some content and others dont (private channels in teams) ?

I wonder how Microsoft is doing it internally. 

@Bert_tb 

That's the same conundrum that we're dealing with.  As we have found it, it's all or nothing.  Microsoft isn't making it easy.