SOLVED

For group integration, does SP site need to be a subsite of main tenant Site Collection?

Iron Contributor

I read that now we will have the choice to select if we want to create a group associated with our site when we generate a site. The question I have is if this needs to go through the Waffle Menu --> Sharepoint -->"+" sign/create site button --> (enter info), OR if I can generate and associate a group even if creating a subsite of a completely different collection on the same tenant.

(BTW the automatic group creation still doesn't work for me...no option in sharepoint settings but that is another issue. Yes I am on selective FR.)

15 Replies
IMHO, the answer is "Yes" and you will always create a Site Collection linked to a Group or viceversa, but not a single subsite
Interesting. Ok. That seems sensible. The reason I ask is because the current behavior is that a subsite of our main site is generated when using the "+" sign. Are you saying that if/when I finally get the ability to associate new site creation with a new group (i.e. New site -> asked if I want a new group, not the reverse), then this site will actually be in its own site collection just like current group sites (although hidden) are?
Yes, that's what I'm saying...you will see that the creation experience is completely different and you will have to use a wizard for creating a Modern Team Site and the related Group
@juan Carlos many +1s to you.
I was thinking that we would create site heirarchy (site collections with subsites) and be able to have groups associated with subsites but it looks like that is not the way things are going (or this isn't enabled yet). If that is the case, then I can't wait for the day we can generate relationships between groups/sites. I do wonder what will happen with peoples' current site collections (particularly for those who have more than one collection, each with subsites).

It is on the roadmap that existing SharePoint site collections will be able to add on an Office 365 Group.  Here is a slide from a great presentation from Ignite referring to the phases.

2016-11-13 21_08_03-New notification.png

Here is a link to all of the slides and the presentation:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Ignite-Content/BRK3001-Explore-the-ultimate-field-g...

:) Existing site collections will remain and could be linked to a Group
Correct!! Remember the rollout is going at its onw pace...first Modern Team sites and then the rest of the features...step by step ;)

If a single existing site collection has multiple team sites within it, which of those team sites get a group, in Phase 2?

Groups are attached at the site collection level and not at the subsite level.

I want to make sure i understand clearly because this is a nuanced question:

In the future (planned rollout or whatever projection is most appropriate), will a subsite be able to receive an independent group? Can a subsite have its own group in the future?

OR, is it actually this: when groups are fully integrated with team sites (to the point where existing team sites can connect to groups and it is "feature complete"), will we only be able to have a group for the entire site collection? Therefore subsites would be essentially part of the same group as the top level site?

Ey Reuben, your last statement is the right one...indeed Groups are already fully integrated with team sites (at least in First Release) what means a Group receives a modern team site (a site collection behind the scenes) where you can create additional subsites, lists, document libraries...

The part that introduces some confusion is @Drew Madelung 's post that shows an infographic. The infographic says that admins will be able to selectively upgrade existing team sites. What if this team site is actually a subsite within a site collection? (again, in the future)

best response confirmed by Ruben Kertesz (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Ok...the right statement would be: admins will be able to selectively upgrade existing team sites (Site Collection scope, no subsite scope)...and I'm talking here about linking a Team Site (A Site collection behind the scenes) with a Group...if you are talking about subsites, you will have there modern pages and all the new cool UI stuff..but not a Group...the Group is already linked at the root site
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ruben Kertesz (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Ok...the right statement would be: admins will be able to selectively upgrade existing team sites (Site Collection scope, no subsite scope)...and I'm talking here about linking a Team Site (A Site collection behind the scenes) with a Group...if you are talking about subsites, you will have there modern pages and all the new cool UI stuff..but not a Group...the Group is already linked at the root site

View solution in original post