Email Address format for Outlook conversations in O365 Groups (onmicrosoft.com) - Bug or Feature?

MVP

We're starting to use Outlook based O365 Groups more and it appears the email address format is:

groupname@tenant.onmicrosoft.com  (as opposed to groupname@tenant.com)

Some of our users are complaining that this "onmicrosoft" format is confusing and unsightly. Have other companies dealt with this? How did you socialize this with your users?

6 Replies

Thanks.

The article doesn't explicitly describe our situation, where emails are contoso.onmicrosoft.com rather than contoso.com. 

I guess what I was asking was is our "contoso.onmicrosoft.com" situation the "standard out of the box" experience with Groups or not. The article implies emails should be contoso.com and describes how you leverage student.contoso.com and faculty.contoso.com - but does say anything about onmicrosoft.com.

Sounds like we need to improve our documentation (good feedback) but the same applies, using this cmdlets you can set the default to @tenant.com/your domain):
New-EmailAddressPolicy -Name Groups -IncludeUnifiedGroupRecipients -EnabledEmailAddressTemplates "SMTP:@contoso.com" -Priority 1
Mmm...strange you are having this problem...in all the tenants where I'm using groups, group e-mails are in the form contoso.com without having to do any extra configuration

Thanks for confiming and also for the CMDs and links. Looks like I need to talk to our email team.

Are you on Exchange Online-only, or in Exchange Hybrid (with MX pointing onPrem)?

I'm on hybrid and I can't get our custom domain to work with O365 groups at the moment.