Discuss #Office365Groups - Public or Private?

MVP

Inspired by a discussion started by Lilly Diaz in the new network.office.com, we'll be running an informal online discussion about Office 365 Groups. The conversation will focus on:

• How we are using Public or Private Groups?
  • What scenarios do we use for Public or Private?
  • What are the pros and cons of choosing either?
  • How are you planning to use the coming External Public Groups?

The online meeting will be recorded, embedded in this Sway and shared with the community on network.office.com.

Join Us: Aug 23, 3pm EDT.

See the event in your timezone and add to your calendar, online meeting URL included. View Event >

6 Replies

Thanks for getting this started! I'm looking forward to the discussion!

@Simon Bromfield @Phil Taber @DeletedUser_6884 fyi if you are free and care to join.

I look forward to people's experience with this and will kick this off with a question.  I fully understand private groups and many use cases for them.  I am struggling with where a public group would be appropriate.  If it is a discussion, then I think a public Yammer group would be appropriate.  I guess where I have a hard time seeing it is around file sharing.  Since members of the group have access to upload and edit files within the group what would be the use case where you would want just anyone putting files and potential editing other people's files in a group setting?  Who would be responsible for sorting out the ROT (Redundant, Obsolete, Trivial)?

What I do see is a use case for a private group who then makes their document library read only to the public, but that is not the same as a public group.

I am probably missing an obvious use case, but...

Thank you to all who attended today's discussion. I have summarised the discussion points and brought together the recording and Oneboard (that's a whiteboard with OneNote), in this Sway

https://docs.com/darrell-webster/2400/discuss-office365groups-public-or-private 

There were some good use-cases for public and private Office 365 Groups. Some where both can be used - a public departmental group to encourage collaboration, communication and coordination with the wider organization. AND a private departmental group, for more focused and sensitive work within the department. 

The education and class scenarios were discussed too, where there is a desire to involve parents and teachers from other schools. This led to further discussion and clarification about the coming External User Access to Groups. @Christophe Fiessinger mentioned this is close to release. 

I hope the summary and recording is useful to the community and generates more discussion about the different ways of Office 365 Groups. 

Do continue the conversation here in the Office 365 Groups community. 

I never noticed announcement for this event and missed it. I have been asking so many questions regarding O365 groups all over place in this community. Anyways i will go through this recording.

Thanks