Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Where to start?

Iron Contributor

Hello,

where to start to understand how the various pillars of Defender works? How to understand in what mode create a pilot? Training?

For example, I want to start to use Defender for Office 365, I have users with M365 Basic and Standard Business subscriptions, so I have to add it as add on, but: could I add it on some users and then remove after the tests? 

Also, I know that I can add Defender for Endpoint for my subscriptions, but where I find prices for this for M365 Business subscriptions (I found only for enterprises subscriptions).

Marco

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Marco Mangiante (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Marco Mangiante 

please see my answers 

1. where to start to understand how the various pillars of Defender works? Have a look at this Mechanics video, where Rob Lefferts explains how Microsoft 365 Defender is part of Microsofts XDR solution "Microsoft Defender"
  2. How to understand in what mode create a pilot? Training? We published this rich evaluation guide for M365D which walks you through the steps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/mtp/mtp-evaluation. You can also check out the Ninja training https://aka.ms/m365dninja 
  3. For example, I want to start to use Defender for Office 365, I have users with M365 Basic and Standard Business subscriptions, so I have to add it as add on, but: could I add it on some users and then remove after the tests? Yes, you can remove assigned licenses and assign them to someone else
  4. Also, I know that I can add Defender for Endpoint for my subscriptions, but where I find prices for this for M365 Business subscriptions (I found only for enterprises subscriptions). Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is also available as a standalone SKU, and is offered through volume licensing programs and the Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) program. 

Hope that helps!

Heike

Hello @Heike Ritter 

thanks for your rich reply. I've see previously the page for evaluation and it seems very interesting, but with a superficial reading, it seemed good but not easy to understand and apply. However, among the various links and with the confirmation that I can add and subtract the licenses, I read that in the security center there is a learning space with the explanation of the services and various tutorial.

For Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, there are already a few SKU that I can check here in Italy or are different for various countries? I've checked our CSP, Ingram Micro but found nothing, so I have to contact them; I also tried a simple research with search engine for volume licensing and have no luck..however, thanks for the info, I think I can find something with a better search.

If I can give  a suggestion, I say Microsoft to push harder for these services and their documentation, trials, maybe with an hub site; also to push for small business and offers tailored for them..sometimes I see prices or example or documentation for enterprise that are not good for small business and shops.

Thanks,

Marco

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marco Mangiante (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Marco Mangiante 

please see my answers 

1. where to start to understand how the various pillars of Defender works? Have a look at this Mechanics video, where Rob Lefferts explains how Microsoft 365 Defender is part of Microsofts XDR solution "Microsoft Defender"
  2. How to understand in what mode create a pilot? Training? We published this rich evaluation guide for M365D which walks you through the steps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/mtp/mtp-evaluation. You can also check out the Ninja training https://aka.ms/m365dninja 
  3. For example, I want to start to use Defender for Office 365, I have users with M365 Basic and Standard Business subscriptions, so I have to add it as add on, but: could I add it on some users and then remove after the tests? Yes, you can remove assigned licenses and assign them to someone else
  4. Also, I know that I can add Defender for Endpoint for my subscriptions, but where I find prices for this for M365 Business subscriptions (I found only for enterprises subscriptions). Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is also available as a standalone SKU, and is offered through volume licensing programs and the Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) program. 

Hope that helps!

Heike

View solution in original post