Remove devices from Microsoft 365 Defender portal

Copper Contributor

Vlad_Buharevich_0-1643702981960.png

24 hours passed and I still see this Device in my inventory

Vlad_Buharevich_1-1643703068873.png

I sent API request for all 4th devices, but same issue

Vlad_Buharevich_2-1643703123162.png

3 Replies
I am currently dealing with the same issue, regardless of the API I don't understand why they haven't implemented a simple Select Device > Remove from Defender.

Currently, I have more than 10 devices that are either renamed or physically retired but I still see them as part of the Device Inventory.

The devices will remain listed until the retention period expires (30 days to 180 days), as is listed in the documentation.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/offboard-machines?view=o36...

I do agree it would be more straight forward if the devices were also removed from the device list, but it does not appear to be possible right now.

@Vlad_Buharevich 

Hi Vlad,

I'm experiencing the same issue, so I've turned to PowerShell as it usually has a bit more oomph.

Copilot has suggested that the below script should prune the device named 'pc01' from Defender, Intune and Entra (Azure AD).

I will be testing it a little later, but you can put -whatif after each command line to see what it will do. If you're not sure on how to do this, copy and paste the below script into Copilot/ChatGPT etc, and ask it to make every command a whatif, to ensure it runs in read only mode :)

Hope this helps!

# Define the computer name
$computerName = "pc01"

# Remove the computer from Windows Defender
Unregister-MpComputer -CimSession $computerName

# Remove the computer from Microsoft Entra (formerly Azure AD)
# Connect to Microsoft Entra with the necessary permissions
Connect-MgGraph

# Find the device in Microsoft Entra
$entraDevice = Get-MgDeviceManagementManagedDevice -All $true | Where-Object { $_.DeviceName -eq $computerName }

# Remove the device if it exists in Microsoft Entra
if ($entraDevice) {
Remove-MgDeviceManagementManagedDevice -ManagedDeviceId $entraDevice.Id
} else {
Write-Host "Device not found in Microsoft Entra."
}

# Remove the computer from Intune
# Assuming the device ID is the same in Intune, use the same ID to remove the device
if ($entraDevice) {
Remove-MgDeviceManagementManagedDevice -ManagedDeviceId $entraDevice.Id
} else {
Write-Host "Device not found in Intune."
}