Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Ninja Cat Giveaway: Episode 5 | Mobile Threat Defense

Microsoft

For this episode, your opportunity to win a plush ninja cat is the following -

Reply to this thread with: After assessing this discussion with Yuji, tell us what are at least 3 common attack vectors on mobile devices? 

This offer is non-transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. This offer ends on April 14th, 2023, or until supplies are exhausted and is not redeemable for cash. Taxes, if there are any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Any gift returned as non-deliverable will not be re-sent. Please allow 6-8 weeks for shipment of your gift. Microsoft reserves the right to cancel, change, or suspend this offer at any time without notice. Offer void in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Region of Crimea, Russia, and where prohibited.

17 Replies

I love all of the Ninja Cat animations, the little pop ups throughout the presentations are so cute!! The little pop-ups when a link is shared on screen are so cute. When he repels on the side of Heike's background and the sweeping animations are my faves.

Will these also be downloadable like the Ninja cat backrounds in Teams?

I think we have a few of these as videos in the "bonus content" section - can you check?

@Heike Ritter 

malware apps

phishing or malicious URL's 

OS/App vulnerabilities

Rooted/Jailbroken devices

This was an awesome episode! And I loved how you could gather a full list of all installed applications, with Defender. My entry for the ninja plush :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes: three common attack vectors are: phishing, Malicious apps, and jailbroken devices! Thank you again for all of the awesome content!

1. Phishing

2. Malicious apps

3.  Vulnerable devices (out-of-date OS)

@Heike Ritter 

Known Malious URL
CVE Vulnerabilities
Phishing Emails
Jailbroken devices

Malicious apps
Vulnerable device
Jailbroken/Rooted device
🥷 :cat:‍

Malware apps, phishing URL, jailbroken devices.
Thank you for the episode as always!

Hi,
There are phishing emails containing malicious URLs (that can be prevented by the web protection feature / smartscreen), outdated OS versions of Android / iOS and malicious apps (you can check that in the TVM part or in the Device Health tab in the app) and also network threats like MIM attacks or rogue access points (remediated by the Network Protection part in the Defender app for Android / iOS)

I was able to find them!! Thank you :)

My favorite part of this episode was the phishing and malicious URLs.
- Social manipulation: This is when malicious actors send fake emails (phishing) or text messages (smishing) to users to trick them into giving private information such as their passwords or downloading malware on their devices.
- Data breaches via malicious apps: This happens when users download apps that look legitimate but actually skim data from their device. Examples are spyware and malware that steal personal and business information without users realizing it.
- Network-based attacks: These are especially common and risky because cybercriminals can steal unencrypted data while people use public WiFi networks.

@Heike Ritter 

Another great episode guys - keep em coming!

Most common attack vectors on mobile devices are

• Jailbroken/rooted devices
  • Malicious Apps
  • Phishing
  • Device Vulnerabilities - out of date OS

Hello @Heike Ritter

Here are 3 common attack vectors on mobile devices:

• Malware: Malicious software can be installed on a mobile device through various means such as phishing emails, SMS messages, or by downloading a malicious app.

• Network attacks: Mobile devices are often connected to public Wi-Fi networks, which can be used to intercept data and launch attacks such as man-in-the-middle attacks. Attackers can also create fake Wi-Fi hotspots to trick users into connecting and stealing their data.

• Device vulnerability: A device with an outdated operating system.

I love the series and look forward to the upcoming episodes. Keep up the amazing work!

Three common attack vectors are phishing, malicious apps, and vulnerable devices. Phishing can come in the form of emails or text messages that contain malicious links. Downloaded apps may be malicious if the correct version is not verified or if they are downloaded from an unknown/untrusted location. Vulnerable devices exist when the iOS or existing apps are not kept updated.

@Heike Ritter Some common threat vectors on mobile devices are Phishing, Smishing, Vishing, Malicious apps, Vulnerable devices, and Jailbroken/rooted devices! 

Great session with Yuji!

The first is the use of phishing emails with malicious URLs.

Having an unsupported iOS / Android operating system and malicious applications.

Network threats from public WiFi (legitimate or spoofed) with the possibility of data interception. Man-in-the-Middle attacks.
The three common attack vectors on a mobile device include
1. Jail broken/rooted device
2. Malicious apps
3. Vulnerable devices (out-of-date OS)
the other attack vector is phishing. The best part defender for endpoint android and ios can help identify and protect against all 4 to keep users and corporate data safe on mobile devices :)