Removing an Business Premium Azure account from a shared laptop

Brass Contributor

In the good old days, you'd use delprof.exe or delprof2.exe to delete unused user profiles from a laptop when using Active Directory accounts.

So how do you do the same with Azure AD joined laptops? Sure, you can remove the user account from the Other users panel in settings but that does not delete the profile folder in C:\Users:

ANpSo6B[1].png

This is the folder after removing that account:

yB9M1H2[1].png

And the registry is still full of the account's settings.

8 Replies

And don't be tempted to try manually removing the folder in C:\Users manually (e.g. using 7-Zip File Manager in admin mode or PowerShell) as you'll end up with that user never been able to logon to that laptop again:

WwUfvAm[1].png

I assume this is because the registry hive is still there but it just gets totally confused because NTUSER.DAT etc has disappeared from C:\Users.

To be fair, I've been looking for a solution to this for several years now so not hopeful that a fix is forthcoming.

Of course, remove account from settings should of course totally remove the account. Should probably raise that as a bug? You can tell it's not doing much as there isn't the prompt to delete the user's data as well - as you still get when removing a local or Microsoft account.

So I'm guessing there isn't a way to remove old accounts except to rebuild the PC :( What's the best uservoice to raise this in?

@rob_nicholson_helios have you considered Autopilot and specifically the Windows Autopilot Reset feature - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/autopilot/windows-autopilot-reset 

Autopilot is something that we're considering. The success will depend upon how easy it is to deploy 3rd party software. Last time we looked at this, it had a long way to go to reach the abilities of SCCM.
I caution about the context that Autopilot and SCCM are alternatives to each other, i.e. use one or the other. Instead consider that Autopilot and SCCM are meant to be complementary to each other. When you look at the evolution of Microsoft's endpoint management, in the early days there was SCCM and Intune which at first were completely separate tools designed to manage different types of devices. Later Microsoft enabled organizations to use both of these tools at the same time to allow organizations to leverage the feature sets of both to optimally manage different device types using the appropriate tool. Now with Microsoft Endpoint Manager, Microsoft is truly providing a unified management portal for both tools. So where does Autopilot fit in this? Autopilot is a cloud based zero touch deployment solution / feature that Microsoft "added" to customer's that have Azure AD P1, Intune and Windows 10. Again, the point being that Autopilot is meant to integrate and augment the already existing SCCM / Intune device / application management solutions rather than replace them.

Did you ever find a good way to delete Azure accounts from shared laptops? I am in the same boat. I like the idea of Autopilot Reset, however, it wipes all of the installed software which I definitely do not want to do. We have all of our software configured to deploy from Endpoint Manager, but don't want to wait for it to install after a reset! @rob_nicholson_helios 

After deploying several VMs for a critical project, I noticed that my VMs were experiencing intermittent connectivity problems. Despite setting up the appropriate network configurations and security groups, I couldn't establish a stable connection to the VMs, and they frequently became unresponsive. This situation disrupted my milwaukee women's heated jacket project timeline and made it challenging to work effectively in the Azure environment.