Multiple Companies

Copper Contributor

Hi there

I am a small business user who is very new to Office365, so please provide your answer in as basic terms as you can... (although I do work in IT, just very limited knowledge of this side of things)

My wife is migrating her two businesses to Office365. Currently we have one Office365 Business Premium account which she plans to use to run both businesses, including emails etc.

For Business 2, she wants to create a Teams forum for people to collaborate (all will be Guests, outside of the organisation), but the Office365 account has the organisation name of Business 1, as this is the core business.

This is creating an issue, as when people for Business 2 join the Teams channels, it's referring to Business 1 on the signup pages, when they're in Teams etc

Is there any way to create a second organisation name to show to those who are joining Teams for Business 1 and Business 2 without creating a second Office365 Business Premium account for business 2?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance

Asher

2 Replies

@AsherF 

Sounds to be complicated and I’m still not getting well what’s the intent. Check below – it something would work for you:

• If 2 different business have to operate within the same O365 tenant – assign different custom domains to it and create user accounts that will reflect the different domains: user1@business1.com user2@business2.com
  • If you operate on the same domain and you want to differentiate people working for different units – reflect the unit in the user display name
  • If you want to name people working in a Team on Teams, and the name should be different that their user name in Office 365 – change the team member name while adding them to the team. Afterwards it’s not possible.

What @Red Flag said is pretty much right, you can't have 2 different company names in the same tenant.  For example, whatever the tenant name selected at creation will always be used as <tenantname>.sharepoint.com and cannot be changed.  

You can add the different company names in the display name for each user and separate data between them but there's always going to be a reference to the original somewhere.

I usually advise clients to pick something more generic that is agnostic to either current or possible future companies.  In this instance, creating a new tenant and moving data in might be the best way to go, depending on your appetite for change.