What Visio can I install with Office 2016 Standard Volume licensed?

Copper Contributor

I guess my question is if I were to call Microsoft or an authorized seller to purchase Visio 2019, and I told them I am running office 2016 standard (volume license), which version of visio would they provide me? Finding an answer to this has been harder than I thought. We DO NOT have 365. We have a version of Visio 2019 pro that will not install with office 2016 standard and we need to get refunded and know which version of visio to get that will install along with office 2016 standard volume license. Visio is not volume license, fyi.

We are getting the  "Office installed with Click-to-Run and Windows Installer on same computer isn't supported" and cannot uninstall or remove the standard since that is the only available office license for this user.  I have read the microsoft site on this issue but it really doesn't help me,

"What can I do about this error?Uninstall the Windows Installer (MSI) version of Office

You can stay with the Windows Installer version of Office and not install the Office 365 Click-to-Run version you were trying to install. Or, do the following:

Follow the steps in Uninstall Office from a Windows computer to remove the Windows Installer version of Office.

Retry the installation of Office you were doing when you got the error message.

For volume license versions of Project or Visio, use the Office Deployment Tool (ODT) to install a Click-to-Run version

If you have a volume license for Project 2016 or Visio 2016 and you’re trying to install the Click-to-Run version of Office 365 ProPlus, you can use the Office Deployment Tool to download and install the Click-to-Run perpetual (stand-alone) versions of Project 2016 or Visio 2016. See Use the Office Deployment Tool to install volume licensed editions of Visio and Project."

I do not have a volume license version of Visio 2019, the office 2016 standard is volume license. Why is it so difficult to have two Microsoft application installed on a Microsoft OS? There has to be a way, or a different version of Visio that will install along side a volume licensed 2016 standard copy. Would Visio 2016 standard work, since office is a standard version? This is starting to feel like an apple device/software...where nothing will work unless you do this, or install that, or uninstall this. 

5 Replies

Unfortunately from the research that I have done Visio 2019 is not compatible with Office 2016.

The simple answer to is to upgrade to Office 365. 

@MichaelDM2175 

@Paras Dodhia 

Can you at least tell me what version of Viso I CAN INSTALL with office 2016 standard? Upgrading isn't an option. We have office 2016 standard, that is it. We cannot upgrade. Can you tell me what version of Visio can install with Office 2016 standard. Please., I mentioned we do not have 365 in my post. I cannot upgrade and will not, I need to know which version of Visio I can install when I already have an existing Office 2016 standard installation. Pretty clear cut question that always never get a clear answer. 

It would have been Visio 2016 Standard but from what I can see online you cannot even purchase it. I would contact your Microsoft account manager to confirm this. @MichaelDM2175 

@Paras Dodhia 

Thank you, but I see plenty of options to purchase online. The Visio 2019 was purchased online with a 3rd party vendor. An executive purchased the visio online. So you are saying if he exchanged the 2019 pro for 2016 standard, it would install with office 2016 standard, correct?