SOLVED

UpdatePath Office 365

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I cannot seem to find a way to change the update path of my Office 365 after setup.

If I install from one location I have to also update only from there and cannot do it from a different location.

If I install from \\server1\o365 and after installation decides to move the update path I cannot change it.

Do you know a way to change that after installation?

3 Replies
(sorry for brevity, mobile so small keyboard) Click on my profile and read recent post I made about channel management.. I think that will help. At a minimum, you need Automatic Updates set to Enabled and UpdateChannelChanged set to False and allow AU scheduled task to run.

@Dave Guenthner 

Dear friend, I read your two posts informing about office 365 update, but couldn't find my specific case there, I will use a GPO (ADMX) to control the updates of my company, but I have 70 branches scattered here in Brazil, and I would like that when the computers are in the branches, I change the registry keys to look for branch servers updates.

best response confirmed by gustavo _ Yamamoto (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@gustavo _ Yamamoto Couple of additional thoughts... If the machines are relatively recent Windows 10 versions you can look at new technologies built into Windows like Delivery Optimization.  In this way, the computers would be all be configured the same in terms of Office but you would group the Windows 10 machines so they would share content "peer-to-peer".  So maybe one machine downloads from CDN by subnet and others share that kind of thing.

If you don't think that's an option, you could DFS-N\DFS-R to have a common namespace like \\Office365\SAC and the clients would then be referred to a local file server to obtain content.  This would greatly simplify effort in not having to maintain 70 different GPO's by site. (If I recall these configurations were stored in AD in terms of sites)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by gustavo _ Yamamoto (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@gustavo _ Yamamoto Couple of additional thoughts... If the machines are relatively recent Windows 10 versions you can look at new technologies built into Windows like Delivery Optimization.  In this way, the computers would be all be configured the same in terms of Office but you would group the Windows 10 machines so they would share content "peer-to-peer".  So maybe one machine downloads from CDN by subnet and others share that kind of thing.

If you don't think that's an option, you could DFS-N\DFS-R to have a common namespace like \\Office365\SAC and the clients would then be referred to a local file server to obtain content.  This would greatly simplify effort in not having to maintain 70 different GPO's by site. (If I recall these configurations were stored in AD in terms of sites)

View solution in original post