OneNote UI elements flickering when using 10-bit graphics

Copper Contributor

So this is a bit of an odd issue, and I've attached a video to clarify it. When 10-bit color depth is enabled on my Windows 10 PC (on an RTX 3080 GPU), when OneNote UWP version is opened, the UI elements are all out of sorts, and as I move my mouse around, they flicker in and out. The only stopgaps I've found so far are to either revert to 8-bit color depth, or to make the OneNote window completely full screen. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this particular issue, so any help would be appreciated.

7 Replies

I have the same issue rtx 2080

Having the same issue with OneNote for Windows 10

Windows knows best how to use the display, and the only way you're 10bit on the desktop is if you're overriding it at the driver control panel.

Don't.

the compositor is not 10bit optimized, and doesn't have an alpha format compatible with forced 10bit.

@dmshapiro 

Same issue, but it persists in full screen and when I revert to 8-bit per channel color, even after trying a few other tweaks to display settings, but I do probably have other settings overridden in nvidia control panel and do not want to spend all day experimenting with it. Windows 10, multiple monitors of assorted resolutions and refresh rates, rtx 3090.

But then I updated to the latest Studio Drivers from nvidia. I realized I had somewhat outdated game ready drivers for the sake of some game recently. Switching to Studio Drivers, it just went away entirely, at least so far, even with 10-bit enabled

If you've a valid reason other than just HDR in games to use 10bit color, such as wide gamut for photo editing or even just HDR video or any video or 3d editing, as I do, then know that studio drivers can be a lot more stable in pro apps at times. Many vendors insist on them for CAD and Animation/modeling apps, and they used to be locked to only Quadro series cards which cater to those users. Since at least RTX series and Titans before that, this is no longer the case. All models in the RTX series seem to get studio driver releases, you just have to make sure to pick that in the drop down on the nvidia site. They might be slightly glitchy or lose performance with a game that just received game ready drivers, but generally in my experience its actually rarely a concern. I usually switch to latest game ready if it is, and by the time there is a new studio driver again, it usually fixes anything with that game too. 

Theres a lot to love and hate about nvidia sometimes but if you want to game and do work that your gpu is party to on the same PC, their choice to release studio drivers for cards gamers buy is actually pretty consumer friendly, or at the very least its better than what they used to do, which was use them to justify buying a quadro card that costs a lot more and cannot use game ready drivers at all.

this issue has been fixed by nvidia under windows 11 in drivers 472 and later, the same issue in 10 is fixed with 496 and later.

The issue has not ever manifested in fullscreen applications.

Perhaps it was a different but identical looking bug, however I none the less experienced this with oneNote on newer drivers than 496. I posted in here for the sake of anyone else who, like me, finds this thread by searching for a fix to an issue they have, as I did. Perhaps this is a different root cause, but I thought it looked about the same as op's video, tried fullscreen, and disabling 10bit, and neither fixed this issue. Perhaps it re-emerged? I updated to 511.65 studio from 511.23 game ready.

Its also not necessarily the case that windows always knows best about if a monitor could or should be 10bpc, or what its refresh rate ought to be, there are valid reasons to override defaults depending on ones needs and use case.

Mixed up the drivers, its 511.23 where this is first fixed,

a reboot or logoff is required after for the fix to take