OneNote "going away"

Copper Contributor

I use OneNote on my work computer (PC, running Windows 7, soon to update to Windows 10) but my personal computer is a Mac (running Catalina).  During a refresh of my work computer, my IOT guy tells me that One Note is "going away" since Windows 10 cannot operate efficiently with it.  I use OneNote for multiple aspects of my work and personal life so this really concerns me - I love OneNote.  So, is this true...is OneNote going to go away?  Is there a plan to replace it with something similar?  Will that new "it" be Mac and PC compatible as I often go between my Mac and my Android phone for quick notes, lists, etc.  What are my options?  I have tried Evernote before and not really a fan as it seemed to have communication errors with the multiple platforms I use. Please tell me it isn't so :)

2 Replies

Hi @PBrowning .  This is a rumor that has been created from some confusing comments from Microsoft in the past few years.

tldr; -  OneNote is not going away.  This includes online (web) apps and desktop apps (Windows / Mac).

Long version:

In April 2018, Microsoft announced that OneNote 2016 was going away. They received a lot of feedback from people using OneNote and about 18 months later they announced it was staying.

SO, we have two OneNote desktop apps for Windows 10 - "OneNote 2016/2019" included with the other Office apps and "OneNote for Windows 10" which is available through the Microsoft Store on Windows 10.

There's also OneNote for Mac, OneNote for Android, OneNote for IOS, and OneNote web sites.

@KellyDJones 

OneNote 2016 for Mac is now retired finally. Unable to use it, and it is forcing us to upgrade to the paid version.

So while It wasn't the rumor anymore, what is the alternate on mac (the web version is too slow)