OCR / copy text no longer working?

Copper Contributor

Hi. I'm use the Windows OneNote app, OneNote Online and iOS / iPhone OneNote app (not using the OneNote 2013 or 2016 app) and it seems that the ability to search text in images or copy text from images (i.e. OCR) as indicated by this article - https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/copy-text-from-inserted-pictures-in-onenote-online-b4fb915a... - is no longer available or working for me. Anyone else having this problem? I've placed two pictures in two separate pages and nothing - this was more than one week ago, so plenty of time for it to "do it's OCR thing".

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd greatly appreciate it, as this was one of the features I liked the most about using OneNote.

5 Replies

Can anyone confirm that OCR is working on newly inserted pictures? Essentially just add a picture with text to a note, wait a bit (usually it appeared within hours), then see if you can right-click and copy text. Or search for words in the picture.

Just not working for me still  :(

Ok so it seems to have resolved itself now. Perhaps a temporary bug with OneNote Online? I had to edit some notes to have the images re-indexed, though. Hmmm...

Well, it's been good chatting to myself.

Really? I found the UWP version doesn't do OCR at all. Am I missing something?

Ok. It seems OCR can take hours on the UWP version. Who knew. Apparently it is supposed to get faster.

I found OCR is working, but only in a limited way. You can search, but you can't highlight or copy text.