SOLVED

Numbers are written backwards in Right-to-Left direction (in Hebrew; OneNote of Office 365)

Brass Contributor

When starting new line of text in Hebrew (Right-to-Left direction), the numbers are written backwards (i.e 78 becomes 87; 1984 -> 4891). Only after deleting, the order is correct

It's especially annoying when I need to enter numbers to cells (or Table). However if I start with a Hebrew letter, the numbers after it are correct.

It started earlier this year (or late 2020) after one of the updates. It affects OneNote for Win10 as well.

Y.W.

11 Replies

@Yuval Welis Thanks for reporting this. I was able to reproduce this issue. I have filed a bug to investigate and fix this issue. While I can't predict which build will contain a fix, because this appears to be a regression, I'm confident it will be fixed in an upcoming update.

@Tony He 

Thanks!

My build of OneNote 365 is 16.0.14131.20296 , (2106) 64 bit.    

I hope to see a fix soon. This is BTW a recurring problem in Office with Hebrew support since Office 2010, where numbers and punctuation signs change their position in a line because they did not follow the writing direction (LTR or RTL). I hope a better QA checking will be done there.

Thanks

Y. W.  

After upgrading to 2107 & 2108 builds - still no improvement.

As with Office 2010, I'm afraid there won't be a solution until the next big upgrade (maybe Office 2022).

@Yuval Welis 

Still one year later & no show. The bug persist & annoy.  

Is there any way to get it to MS?...  

I would like to join Yuval in the request to look into this, as it's been a long time and this is a really pressing issue affecting all of onenote's users in Israel and in the middle east where RTL is common. Thank you.
I raised this earlier this year at the Office Support forums, but no joy (I was asked for screenshot... Come on - it's easily reproducible),

Maybe on Telegram
Hi, I was wondering if there is a fix to this bug?
best response confirmed by Yuval Welis (Brass Contributor)
Solution
It seems that soon after I wrote the above message by the end of December 2022, MS had finally fixed the bug... But only on Office 365: The Win 10-11 app still has this problem.

So if you have the Office version of OneNote - No bug there.
I think that it was fixed only after I mentioned it on the Facebook page of the local MS branch. So if anyone want to be heard - that is where MS may pay attention to you. Hopefully...
do you know what about a MacOs version?
and can you link the page please?
Thank you!
The page here - https://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftRnDil

I don't know about the OSX version. I think the iOS version is without the bug.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Yuval Welis (Brass Contributor)
Solution
It seems that soon after I wrote the above message by the end of December 2022, MS had finally fixed the bug... But only on Office 365: The Win 10-11 app still has this problem.

So if you have the Office version of OneNote - No bug there.

View solution in original post