SOLVED

How can I tell when my Office ProPlus was last updated?

Copper Contributor

Is there a way, on my local system, to tell when the last update was applied to Office 365 ProPlus 2016? We are just getting started with this product and I'm trying to determine when my Current Channel install was last updated. I'm not interested when MS updated the product, I can find that info online pretty easy. I'm interested in when my local installation got updated.

Thanks...

4 Replies

Simply check the version under File -> Account? If you mean when "you" pressed the update button, check the last modified date on the files inside your Office install dir.

Thanks, but what I'm looking for is something similar to the Update History functionality in the OS. Our MSI installs of Office that are patched/updated via SCCM show up in that list, but updates to Click-to-Run installs of Office don't. For instance, I can go into Update History and easily see that I got patches for Office 2013 (and Windows) installed on 8/14. If I go into File -> Account in Office 365 ProPlus, I see that I have Current Channel v1707 b8326.2059 which MS's website says was released on 7/27. But when did it actually get installed?

It's a potential troubleshooting issue. You know the scenario... "It was working fine till {date}, then it started doing {issue}." First thing you want to know is what changed on that system on or just before that {date}.

Well, one thing that comes to mind is that you can control the O365 Pro Plus updates deployment process by enforcing the ODT/GPO settings as detailed here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Configure-update-settings-for-Office-365-ProPlus-a073ea21-6...

best response confirmed by Thomas Ker (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Thomas, you can check the log files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. The Click-To-Run-Service logs to this directory any activity, e.g. configuration changes, update detections and update applies. The log files are in the format %computername%-%Date%-%Time%.log.

I would suggest to look for log files 100KB+ in size and then look for an entry similar to

"Task UPDATEAPPLY:{9ECBBD08-437D-4246-9F21-2572B9898318} completed with TaskState TASKSTATE_COMPLETED"

This indicates that the client has successfully applied an update.

Hope this helps.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Thomas Ker (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Thomas, you can check the log files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. The Click-To-Run-Service logs to this directory any activity, e.g. configuration changes, update detections and update applies. The log files are in the format %computername%-%Date%-%Time%.log.

I would suggest to look for log files 100KB+ in size and then look for an entry similar to

"Task UPDATEAPPLY:{9ECBBD08-437D-4246-9F21-2572B9898318} completed with TaskState TASKSTATE_COMPLETED"

This indicates that the client has successfully applied an update.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post