Fillable PDF in OneNote

Copper Contributor

I am a teacher. I often use OneNote and post "printouts" of worksheets into my student's binders. Is there a way of creating a text box in my content library and having students fill in the text box once it's sent to them? The reason being is that many use Office 365 and the ability to type on top of the worksheet is difficult for some. I have encouraged them to double click to create the text box but this doesn't seem to work for all of them. 

2 Replies

@macdonaldk- not sure if this is exactly what you want -- but what I've done with students in the past (in MS WORD - but the process is the same in OneNote - I just tried it):

1. Get a screen shot of the worksheet you want to use. 
  2. Save it as an image (.jpg/.png -- .png has the highest resolution but will make your file bigger)
  3. INSERT it as a picture on your OneNote page. 
  4. Right click on the image and "Set as background" --
  5. Students can write all over it and nothing moves.

BAM!

@jhubbard thank you . I literally just discovered this option after I posted it in this forum. I'm guessing, then, that if I do that (setting to background" prior to sending to my students that nothing will change when it goes to them. 

As an aside to your steps you don't have to do a screenshot. You should be able to "print" to OneNote in your printer window. This works in any program (word, adobe, etc.). 

1. Choose print.
  2. In the "select printers" window choose "Send to OneNote..." 
  3. OneNote should open and ask you where you want to place it (a subject area or specific blank sheet). 

*the above only works on a Windows computer. On a Mac, you have to convert the file to a pdf and then you can insert it into OneNote using the >insert>Insert file as a printout. 

Thanks again for your help on the disappearing sheets. Take care.