Disappearing Notebook caused by deleting a section

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Recently, I tried to access an old notebook of mine. However, I could not find this notebook. It contained all the notes that I had taken from September 2016 to December 2016, and many of the notes were very important to me, this is why I had purchased a Surface Pro and been using OneNote. I did not delete this notebook, it did not become corrupted, it simply suddenly disappeared. I do not know when it disappeared (or so I thought).

This had happened to me previously with another notebook, which contained my notes from September 2017 to December 2017. 

When I noticed that this had happened with my September 2016 to December 2016 notebook, I decided to contact support as this is a major issue. Digging into the cause and looking at what could have caused this, I noticed that for both of these notebooks, I had deleted sections from these 2 notebooks in order to keep the storage of these files down (limited drive space).  So, I started connecting the dots, and I realized a major bug that was causing this major inconvenience.

When approaching the limit of the drive, you are invited by OneNote to manage your storage. In this section, you can click See what's taking up space. This page is titled Largest Files on your OneDrive, and shows the OneNote sections that are the largest by size. You can click on one of these section icons, and you can see details. You can also delete them from the toolbar above. This is what I did. However, when I did a little bit of investigating, this is not really deleting the notebook section that was selected...

Rather, it was deleting the entire notebook! I could not believe it. I went back to test it and noticed that this is indeed what occurs, as the entire notebook is then sent to the recycling bin. As I had no reason to assume the entire notebook was sent to the recycling bin, the 30 days passed and my recycling bin, which contained the entire notebook from September 2016 to December 2016 was completely deleted!

This is a terribly inconvenient situation for me, as I have lost nearly 6 months of notes which are immensely important to me. This bug should be fixed as soon as possible, and I would appreciate help in recovering these lost notebooks.

Thank you

0 Replies