Configuring fallback for Office 365 ProPlus updates in Configuration Manager

Microsoft

Starting with version 1706 of System Center Configuration Manager a new option is available allowing administrators to enable clients to fall back to the Microsoft Office CDN when deploying Office 365 ProPlus updates to client machines.  With this option enabled, clients will first check their available distribution points for the specified update.  If the update cannot be found the client will then get the specified update directly from the Microsoft Office CDN.

This can be helpful for situations where machines may not have a dedicated or reliable connection to the corporate network and other situations where it is not necessary to manage the update content for a particular update on premises.

To enable this feature:

Each time you configure an update for deployment (either manually or using an ADR) you can choose to enable this setting by simply checking the box labeled ‘If software updates are not available on distribution point in current, neighbor or site boundary groups, download content from Microsoft Updates.’ on the Download Settings tab of the Deployment Settings Properties dialog.

a.png 

When you deploy an update with this setting enabled you can expect the following behavior:

• the client will check the available distribution points for the specified update before getting the update from the Microsoft Office CDN
  • the client will get the update from the Microsoft CDN if the client does not have a connection to the LAN after being signaled to update
  • the client may get language pack files related to the update if these files are not available on the distribution points
  • the client may switch to the Microsoft Office CDN during an update from a DP if a connection to the LAN is lost
7 Replies

Thanks for the writeup, I'm a little late here but have a question I'm hoping you can answer.  Is this same functionality available using the ODT or GPO/Intune MDM Policy?  I see there is an "AllowCdnFallback" option in the ODT configuration XML (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/configuration-options-for-the-office-2016-deployment-t...) but that seems to be for deployment (ODT download/configure modes), but not for updates.

Hi Jeremy,

This is a different fall back mechanism.

The 'AllCdnFallback' option that you use with ODT is specific to the installation of language packs.  It allows you to install Office from a local source (like a network share) but if you forgot to download a language pack or MatchOS discovered a language pack that was not downloaded to your local source, having this fall back option on allows the ODT to download the language pack(s) that it needs directly from the CDN.  Note: this option is not compatible with Application deployment via SCCM.

The option available in SCCM applies to updates.  If a client is told by SCCM to update but the update is not yet available on the distribution point, the client is allowed to get the update directly from the CDN. 

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks very much. Can't wait to eventually see this same fallback functionality when using a local share or https for updates (hopefully).

Regarding the fallback behavior, I recently analyzed a client machine that was set up to receive the latest update for Office 365 ProPlus semi-annual v1708. In the middle of that, one of our support techs disabled the config manager client because the user was having some issues with software installs unrelated to O365. Fast forward about a week and he re-enabled the config man client. The ProPlus client did get an update successfully, but it was for v1803, not 1708 of semi-annual channel. So my questions are:

• Does it seem reasonable that the CDN fallback was used because the config manager client was disabled before the update from SCCM could be completed?
  • Is the fallback going to grab the latest version of semi-annual channel from the CDN as opposed to the one we've specified for distribution via SCCM?

Thanks for any assistance,

Doug

Hi Doug,

When an update is targeted to a client, the Configuration Manager agent tells C2R to install that specific version. If the Configuration Manager fallback option was enabled and the DP did not have the version then the client would fall back to the CDN to get the version specified by Configuration Manager. If the Configuration Manager agent was disabled on the client then it should have never updated unless the OfficeMgmtCOM setting was not set to True on the client. This setting tells C2R to not check for updates and wait to be told what to do by Configuration Manager. FYI - the OfficeMgmtCOM setting is stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration along with the installed version and other C2R settings.

Cheers,
Chris
The fall back option in the ODT configuration XML is for the scenario when you are deploying from a local source (typically via a manual process or a management tool other than Configuration Manager). For both the initial installation or the update process.

If you are using Intune everything comes from the CDN so no need for fall back in this case.

@Chris Hopkins- Happy Holidays!

I am using the following lines in my config.xml and deploying during OSD as an Application in SCCM (1806).  

<Configuration>
  <Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Broad" OfficeMgmtCOM="TRUE" AllowCdnFallback="TRUE">
    <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">
      <Language ID="MatchOS" />
      <Language ID="en-us" />

My source files on the local distribution point only contain the installation for en-us. You stated that this  not compatibile with the Application method of SCCM? It will not use the CDN to download the missing Languages if the you are deploying Office 365 ProPlus in this manner? Is that documentend somewhere?

I have to manage over 20 different languages of the OS and Office, it would be ideal to have this working instead of having 19 additional deployment types/applications for each Office language.

Looking forward to your response.