SOLVED

Ask The IoT Expert: Windows 10 IoT Enterprise

Microsoft

Have you ever run into questions when building an internet-connected smart display/kiosk, gateway, or robotics device using Windows 10 IoT Enterprise?

Today, in celebration of #JulyOT, I’ll be ready to discuss or answer any questions you might have around how to use Windows 10 IoT Enterprise to build the foundation for your intelligent edge devices in our Ask The Expert series.

Bervell_0-1595957875075.jpeg

As a Program Manager on Microsoft Windows IoT Team, I spend my days talking to customers, getting feedback, and building products to enable the next generation of embedded silicon and Internet of Things devices. Now, I want to share that knowledge with you!

Just last week we released an IoT Deep Dive to showcase how to build secure cloud-connected IoT solutions with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise. In the video Henry Fieglein from Dover Fueling Solutions described their real world solution which delivers personalized experiences in content and targeted advertising right at the gas pump; Amelia Casciola gave viewers a sneak peek of our new ARM64 support in her technical demo; and I showcased what’s next for Windows for IoT & answering the top questions from the community. (Raspberry Pi, vNext, etc).

You can watch that video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4na4RpxlnIw. Then, come back and comment with your questions!

I wanted to share a question I recently received around how to build these IoT solutions with a lower Bill of Materials cost. I thought it was interesting because it highlights the growing move of the industry to create more accessible and cost-efficient IoT solutions. The answer I shared was that enabling new smaller silicon, like the Qualcomm SDM850 or NXP i.MX 8M, with more powerful operating systems, like Windows IoT Enterprise, can truly help to democratize access to IoT solutions for all. Let me know your thoughts and, as always, share any questions you have on this topic or others.

I’m looking forward to hearing your ideas and questions – please post them as comments and I’ll do my best to help you answer them!

Cheers,

Michael

#iot #azureiot #windows10 #Developer #IoTArchitect #RealWorldScenario

6 Replies
Nothing today...perhaps if we knew ahead of time you would have office hours...we would have a slew of questions line up;)
I'll be checking periodically over the next few weeks as well. Feel free to post questions anytime!
1. What is difference between Windows IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC and Windows IoT Enterprise, version 2004? Which one should use? I notice that Windows IoT Enterprise, version 2004 has UWP apps preinstalled, so as Microsoft Store app.

2. Is Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC is same as Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC, there is no different between them, just marketing spin? it is built based on Windows 10, version 1809 with 10 years support? After I activated IoT enterprise, my device was showing “Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC”, not “IoT”.

3. Can we use Intune manage IoT enterprise 2019 LTSC updates from Windows update for business? or do we have to use WSUS or ConfigMgr. Microsoft doc said Windows update for business is not supported, that is the only reason why we didn’t use IoT Enterprise for Intune managed Kiosk device, but using normal Windows 10 Enterprise.

4. Same questions as above, but for version 2004? And can it have feature upgrade to newer version later?

5. IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC OperatingSystemSKU is 125, IoT Enterprise, version 2004 OperatingSystemSKU is 188, I don’t find them in this list https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.powershell.commands.operatingsystemsku?view=po... , do you have public Microsoft doc with updated Sku list?

6. I enrolled IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC and IoT Enterprise, version 2004 to Intune, 2019 LTSC shows as “LTSC” in hardware inventory, but version 2004 shows as “IoT”. So this is probably related to question #2. :)

7. Deploy IoT device. Why cannot use Windows Autopilot for IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC? Autopilot works for IoT Enterprise, version 2004, I tested that today.

Thank you for making this Q&A!

Regards, Sandy

best response confirmed by Yinghua Zeng (MVP)
Solution

@Yinghua Zeng 

Hey Sandy,

Thank you for the amazing questions! We’re always to see customers as excited about Windows IoT Enterprise as we are at Microsoft. See below for some responses.

(RE Questions 1, 2, and 6)

Windows IoT Enterprise, version 2004 is updated on the semi-annual channel (SAC).  LTSC is the Long term stability branch for 10 years.  You can read about the differences between here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview. The Microsoft inbox UWP apps are not included in LTSC versions (you can see a bit more about this at the link I referenced before). The OEM installed apps are recommended only for the SAC version. There are many considerations when deciding between SAC and LTSC which depending on your use case. That’s also described at the link referenced above.

In Win10 we combined all of the features from the previous embedded editions of Windows with the Windows Enterprise edition.  So it is true that the media is the same.  The activation keys come from a different range and the licensing restrictions and way you pay for a license is dramatically different. For 2019 LTSC, it will show as “Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC” even you activated it via IoT Enterprise keys. Starting in version 1903 (SAC) we introduced a unique product ID for IoT Enterprise and starting adding some subtle features to the IoT vs. the standard versions of Enterprise.  If you activate with a IoT key you will get the Reserved Storage feature turned off by default.  Also, the string in the description will change to “IoT Enterprise”.  While the media will remain the same, we expect this trend of default configuration differences to grow over time.

(RE Questions 3 and 4)

Yes you can use Intune to manage IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC updates. You can choose to use Intune, WSUS, or ConfigMgr. You can use these tools for version 2004 and 2019.

(RE Question 5)

188 is the new product ID introduced in version 1903 and above for Windows 10 IoT Enterprise SAC releases. Thanks for pointing out the doc page. We will follow up to update the doc.

(RE Question 7)

Windows Autopilot supports Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC which means it should support IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC since they share the same media: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-autopilot/windows-autopilot-requirements. If you run into problems using Windows Autopilot with LTSC 2019, we can help to connect you with the right team for follow up.

Thanks for your awesome questions.

Cheers,

Michael

@Bervell 

Can I know the difference between Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 IoT Enterprise in terms of security (CVE's common Vulnerabilities and Exposure) and features?

Thanks

Narendra

narendrahc123@gmail.com

@Bervell - Thank you so much for sharing the details. Can you please confirm if you have a list of CSP supported for Windows 10 IoT Enterprise SKU? Or if it is possible to add up this information here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/configuration-service-provider-refere...

This will help to clear a lot of confusion when configuring CSP for Windows 10 IoT Enterprise SKU. The CSP document is missing with this primary information.

Thanks.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Yinghua Zeng (MVP)
Solution

@Yinghua Zeng 

Hey Sandy,

Thank you for the amazing questions! We’re always to see customers as excited about Windows IoT Enterprise as we are at Microsoft. See below for some responses.

(RE Questions 1, 2, and 6)

Windows IoT Enterprise, version 2004 is updated on the semi-annual channel (SAC).  LTSC is the Long term stability branch for 10 years.  You can read about the differences between here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview. The Microsoft inbox UWP apps are not included in LTSC versions (you can see a bit more about this at the link I referenced before). The OEM installed apps are recommended only for the SAC version. There are many considerations when deciding between SAC and LTSC which depending on your use case. That’s also described at the link referenced above.

In Win10 we combined all of the features from the previous embedded editions of Windows with the Windows Enterprise edition.  So it is true that the media is the same.  The activation keys come from a different range and the licensing restrictions and way you pay for a license is dramatically different. For 2019 LTSC, it will show as “Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC” even you activated it via IoT Enterprise keys. Starting in version 1903 (SAC) we introduced a unique product ID for IoT Enterprise and starting adding some subtle features to the IoT vs. the standard versions of Enterprise.  If you activate with a IoT key you will get the Reserved Storage feature turned off by default.  Also, the string in the description will change to “IoT Enterprise”.  While the media will remain the same, we expect this trend of default configuration differences to grow over time.

(RE Questions 3 and 4)

Yes you can use Intune to manage IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC updates. You can choose to use Intune, WSUS, or ConfigMgr. You can use these tools for version 2004 and 2019.

(RE Question 5)

188 is the new product ID introduced in version 1903 and above for Windows 10 IoT Enterprise SAC releases. Thanks for pointing out the doc page. We will follow up to update the doc.

(RE Question 7)

Windows Autopilot supports Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC which means it should support IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC since they share the same media: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-autopilot/windows-autopilot-requirements. If you run into problems using Windows Autopilot with LTSC 2019, we can help to connect you with the right team for follow up.

Thanks for your awesome questions.

Cheers,

Michael

View solution in original post