Best way to gain an understanding of how Microsoft themself see O365?

Highlighted
Contributor

The background of this question are thoughts on how far we customize O365 to our company's needs. I see a risk in putting too much effort into customizations and the need to clearly understand Microsofts philosophy and vision of O365. Especially in order to prevent wrong decisions caused by discrepancy between the view decision makers on my company have and the view decision makers on Microsofts company have.

So my question is: What is the best way to gain an understanding of how Microsoft themself see O365? Can you recommend me some must-follow blogs or other hot resources?

2 Replies
Highlighted

I like this question because it is one I ask myself at the beginning of every project.  How much do I need to change Office 365 from the default to meet the company needs?  After all it is not just about storage any more AKA SharePoint it is about finding a solution that meets the needs of 100's of different types of people.

I have some solutions on this around defining the Governance for a whole organisation, especially International companies, but maybe I can cover that later.

My suggestion is to keep as close to the coal face as possible, in this case the Office 365 roadmap tells me what direction Microsoft are taking (short and medium term) and what changes my customer needs to plan for.  The answer to my questions above always reaches the same conclusion and that is to prepare the company for constant change because if there is one thing we know about Office 365 is that it changes constantly and will continue to do so.

So, my tools are the roadmap and user voice which tells me where the products are going and enables me to provide some direction on where I need Office 365 to go so the Governance and adoption planning aligns to the user needs.

Steve Dalby

Highlighted

Maybe it is best to think about the services within Office 365 not the product when considering upgrade paths and changes.  Exchange is still exchange and SharePoint is still SharePoint and these will bring updates independently.  The you have service running over the top like Office Graph delivering Delve and content search type features and this will change have a separate upgrade path.

My suggestion is to track the roadmap for big changes and read the Office 365 Admin news feed in your tenant to track real time changes and upgrades.

Steve Dalby