Emails appear in Chinese

Copper Contributor

Help, I've just changed my personal email to Outlook and my emails from known sources are written in a chinese language.  I cannot find where to encrypt to english. Please help.

2 Replies

@SueSpark 

Hi and welcome to the Microsoft Techcommunity!

The problem you are having is tough...

But I found a solution which should work for you:

http://windowsbulletin.com/how-to-fix-corrupt-emails-with-chinese-characters-solved/

Problem:

"The problem is that the email has a character encoding in the META tag of the character set that is different from the character encoding in the MIME part, and an HTML warning has been added. When Exchange 2010 SP1 adds the HTML disclaimer, it re-encodes the message, resulting in an incorrect message because it reads the wrong character set information."

Solution: 

Delete other languages in Outlook

Open Outlook, click on File> Options> Language> under Edit languages, check if another language is enabled, if so, select it and click on Delete.

This problem must be on the client side and not on the server side. Also try reading the message in HTML format to see if the same problem occurs.

Change the text format

You can change the text format of your answer by clicking on the File tab. Click on “Options” then on “Mail”. Look for the list “Write in this message format”. In this list, click on Plain text or HTML, then OK. Another author of strange characters is “Show Markup”, a Word option that displays the normally invisible markers on the page that mark the beginning of paragraphs, spaces and tab keys. Disable “Show Markup” by simultaneously pressing “Ctrl”, “Shift” and “8”.

Blocking foreign emails (with Chinese characters) in Outlook

To block all emails containing certain foreign characters in Outlook, please do the following:

1. Select an email in the specified email account and click Start > Junk Email > Junk Email Options.
  2. In the Junk Mail Options dialog box, select the International tab and click the Blocked Encryption List button.
  3. In the Blocked Encoding List dialog box, check the foreign languages you want to block and click the OK button.
  4. Click the OK button to close the Junk Mail Options dialog box.

From now on, all incoming emails with the foreign characters specified in the specified email account are automatically blocked.

@SueSpark here were problems downloading some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0x80096004)