SOLVED

What Intelligent Edge hardware development topics would YOU like to see discussed?

Microsoft

MSC17_business_006.pngAs a hardware manufacturer looking to use Microsoft software (such as Windows 10 IoT core) and services (such as Azure IoT Hub) to enhance your current or enable your upcoming Intelligent Edge hardware projects, we want this conversation space to meet you needs.

Let us know what kind of topics YOU would like to see covered in a blog post or conversation. Help us get you the information YOU need to enhance your hardware devices with Microsoft software and services.

Reply to this post, or start a new one!

10 Replies

Hi @John Spear ,

I do not know if this is the right place to post this question. Feel free to redirect me.

I am interested in developing solutions in automotive business. Do you know if vehicle manufacturers and solution providers like Microsoft are working together in a kind of hardware "standard" to allow easier/fastest solution developments? Ex: an agreement according to which IoT Edge modules could be deployed in the vehicles.

An nVME2 on a 10 GBe Fiber LAN ... I boot into it via POE and WEBCONSOLE and view all the AZURE IOT via IFRAME and no CODES necessary INTERNET OF THINGS loves IFRAME and all the CONSOLES you can get out of every EMBEDS. Since all manufacturers are implicit about STANDARDS and VIEWPORTS I think developing with IFRAME and BODY BASE HREF will usually pull all the necessary BODY tags into the VIEWPORT and works inside BIOS like my ASUS PIKE

@qmutz - Thank you for your comment. Can you explain further the topic you would like to see discussed here on the IoT Devices Tech Community?

At this time, we have announced the Microsoft Connected Vehicle Platform (https://aka.ms/MCVP). I would recommend reading through the white papers and other information there.
best response confirmed by jonmikeli (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@jonmikeli Thanks for the question. I'm on the Microsoft Connected Vehicle Platform (MCVP) team. We are working with several Automotive OEMs on putting together a Vehicle-Computer Architecture with Automotive Extensions. If you know much about the automotive space, you'll know that there is a lack of "standards' in this industry.  We hope to provide more documented guidance on this in the near future.

The MCVP is also working with several Tier-1's to help them spec out hardware for the OEMs that would do more than just "meet the requirements".  This would include helping them with how to support the many computational workloads within a vehicle, including, but not limited to, safety, infotainment, human interaction, productivity, virtual assistant, autonomous driving, etc. Some vehicles may only have some of these, other may more or all. Different loads require different solutions, so we recommend that there be different vehicle-computers to support the various workloads for that specific vehicle. 

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks again for asking.

Hi @John Spear ,

Thanks for your answer and the provided link.

I had a look at the MCVP a while ago but I will refresh it in case there are new things.

Thanks again

Hi @robaghamalian ,

Thank you for your answer and all the details provided.

I do no come from the Automotive industry but I am very interested on developing IoT/AI solutions on it. I am a Cloud and IoT Solutions architect trying to create functional/business value with new ideas. That is why I am starting gathering information about what could be done, how, costs, what the developing platforms are, automotive applications life-cycle, actors, etc.

Thanks for the provided information. It gives me a global idea of what Microsoft is working on but it is still not clear in terms of details. Is there a way to get more technical details about the works you mention? Is that platform "public" or accessible in a way so that I could develop solutions (mainly talking about the "embedded part" by any information from any part is very welcomed)? I guess the cloud platform relies in existing solutions or services like IoT Hub, Event Hub, ASA, etc.

If this information cannot provided, may I ask what would be the computational power range of the targeted vehicles (processing, RAM, memory, communication capabilities, etc)? What type of software platform do those vehicles run on nowadays (OS, capabilities, etc)? Could IoT Edge or containerized solutions run appropriately in those vehicles? What are the communication strategies the industry relies on (ex: 5G, others)?

I apologize if I am asking too many question or inappropriate questions.

Thank you in advance for your time.

@John Spear Nice post request... I think from a industrial factory shop floor prospective there will be varying demands for EDGE hardware such as for example:-

1. Pure IoT EDGE gateway

2. But could be machine OPC UA to EDGE Gateway.. JSON, MQTT, to OPC UA Twin cloud side

3. EDGE box with protocol driver (machines without OPC UA...citing legacy world (what protocol converters does IoT RT/ EDGE have ?

4. Items 1,2,3 but also a machine might produce a file at the end of process cycle... like ***.txt, csv, XML, PDF, or imagines which might vary kb to 000's GM in size, so might need EDGE Blob to send file to cloud storage.

5. A machine might need items 1,2,3,4 but might also need to communicate with a company own Enterprise systems like SAP or MES with refined schemers.... or need to have bi-direction MES_2_machine & Machine_2_MES the later might need to community back to a machine PLC FB for instance...(more involved).

6. EDGE Machine Learning/ AI - Citing Docker contained APP 

The above covers a landscape of EDGE device possible functional needs which has impact on hardware/ EDGE software/ Docker APP deployed.... 

Hope this gives some idea's, what do you think @John Spear @OlivierBloch ? Would be good to use these for an IoT Show post/ video in the future as real end user needs?

Cheers @Car-Digital-Thread 

These are all good suggestions. For the IoT Show I am looking for more of the real life use cases, so if you have an actual project that's in development that covers some of these scenarios, let me know (you can DM me on twitter @obloch )
Hi Olivier, I will pin you a message via Linkedin... as we are already connected there :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jonmikeli (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@jonmikeli Thanks for the question. I'm on the Microsoft Connected Vehicle Platform (MCVP) team. We are working with several Automotive OEMs on putting together a Vehicle-Computer Architecture with Automotive Extensions. If you know much about the automotive space, you'll know that there is a lack of "standards' in this industry.  We hope to provide more documented guidance on this in the near future.

The MCVP is also working with several Tier-1's to help them spec out hardware for the OEMs that would do more than just "meet the requirements".  This would include helping them with how to support the many computational workloads within a vehicle, including, but not limited to, safety, infotainment, human interaction, productivity, virtual assistant, autonomous driving, etc. Some vehicles may only have some of these, other may more or all. Different loads require different solutions, so we recommend that there be different vehicle-computers to support the various workloads for that specific vehicle. 

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks again for asking.

View solution in original post