Live streaming is not working with Android based hot spot(Smartphone)

Copper Contributor

Setup Description: Vision AI starter kit Device and Android mobile hot spot (Smart phone)

1. Done required docker images downloaded to the camera and able to see live video streaming over the HDMI interface in the monitor.

2. Connected Camera with the android mobile hot spot(Using Cellular data) and tried to live stream in the web browser using port 3000. Window is opening but not able to see any video content.

(Observed continuous loading page)

We would like to know any setting required in Camera and Android mobile to stream video successfully in web browser.

8 Replies

Hello @Lakshman_DSP, can you please share the following information.

1. Is the camera and device on which you are trying to view the webstream connected to the same hotspot?

2. Which browser are you using for the webstream?

3. Are you using a phone browser or a desktop(regular) browser to view the webstream.

Hi @PuneetRaheja,

1. Is the camera and device on which you are trying to view the webstream connected to the same hotspot?

<Lakshman> Yes. camera and device (Laptop) both connected to same android mobile hot spot.

2. Which browser are you using for the webstream?

<Lakshman> Primarily Google chrome but also tried once using IE and Mozilla also.

3. Are you using a phone browser or a desktop(regular) browser to view the webstream.

<Lakshman> Laptop

@Lakshman_DSP  What is the Firmware Version on the Camera

@PuneetRaheja v0.4940_Perf (QCS603_LE_r37-v0.4940_Perf) 

@Lakshman_DSP  thanks for sharing the details.  When you switch between networks which results in a change of IP there can be issues in live streaming. Can you try the below workaround and let us know if it works.

How do I update the WebStreamModule IP address if the IP address of my camera changes?

To change the WebStreamModule IP address:

1. In Azure Portal, go to IoT Hub > Iot Edge > select your IoT device > Set Modules > Configure (next to WebStreamModule)

2. Change the environment variable RTSP_IP field to match the current IP address of the camera device.

@Lakshman_DSP 

Can you kindly check if your hotspot allows connections between clients on ports 3000 and 8900.  The webpage is on port 3000, and the embedded video is coming from 8900.

@PuneetRaheja 

I have checked WebStreamModule IP address and observed its different from current camera IP.

I tried to update WebStreamModule IP address by modifying with latest camera IP but not worked, and observed IP getting restored to old IP later.

I have removed existing IoT edge device from IoT account and added as new IoT edge device with current camera IP. Video live started working in web browser with these changes.

(Both camera and Laptop connected same network i.e. intranet/sub net)

Please confirm below.

1. Is it required to add new IoT edge device to IoT hub account every time when we connected new hotspot ? (Updating WebStreamModule IP address not worked in my case).
  2. Observed web live streaming working from single client at a time (Laptop/mobile, Not working multiple web live streaming). Is it known limitation of AI camera or any additional settings required for multiple web live streaming.
  3. Observed more latency in web live streaming compared with VLC/HDMI live streaming. Is there any options or settings to improve web live streaming latency. (I know there are many impact factors for latency but I would like to know is there any options from Camera or Azure end).
  4. Is there any option/possibility to disable existing vision module which is running on camera by default (AIVisionDevKitGetStartedModule) 
  5. Is it internet (Data connection) is mandatory for web live streaming over intranet/subnet. (Assume docker images downloaded already).

Now I also tried to web live streaming over internet i.e. external network, but not working.

(Both camera and Laptop connected different hotspots)

1. Steps/settings for web live streaming from internet i.e. external network.
  2. Steps/procedure for live streaming to popular web services like youtube.

@Lakshman_DSP 

1. Is it required to add new IoT edge device to IoT hub account every time when we connected new hotspot ? (Updating WebStreamModule IP address not worked in my case).

no on every reboot we bind to the Ip address , so if the ip is changed then till the time you are connected to ip is same  sub domain you can access the live streaming without any changes on a reboot of camera.

1. Observed web live streaming working from single client at a time (Laptop/mobile, Not working multiple web live streaming). Is it known limitation of AI camera or any additional settings required for multiple web live streaming.

It should work with multiple clients by design if not working file an issue in github ..

1. Observed more latency in web live streaming compared with VLC/HDMI live streaming. Is there any options or settings to improve web live streaming latency. (I know there are many impact factors for latency but I would like to know is there any options from Camera or Azure end).

Nothing specific here as we are using ffmpeg in module webstream module  to convert RTSP to mp4 and replaying over http there are many buffers in play causing a delay , please check the code and see if you can improve latency , from setting side there is nothing :( 

1. Is there any option/possibility to disable existing vision module which is running on camera by default (AIVisionDevKitGetStartedModule) 

you can follow GitHub and build your own module that gives u full control as what you want to run and not run , if you are looking for quick fix just change the deployment of module on iot hub ->iot edge ->deployment on portal.azure.com

1. Is it internet (Data connection) is mandatory for web live streaming over intranet/subnet. (Assume docker images downloaded already).

Yes you must be able to ping the camera ip from the device that you wish to stream on ,,,(hence connectivity is required)

Now I also tried to web live streaming over internet i.e. external network, but not working.

(Both camera and Laptop connected different hotspots)

1. Steps/settings for web live streaming from internet i.e. external network.
  2. Steps/procedure for live streaming to popular web services like youtube.

thsi is not supported due to security concerns by default but can be definitely can be done , you can find a way to take RTSP or http stream from camera and route to internet for public access.