Yammer users with no O365 identity

Steel Contributor

We are preparing to swich to O365 Identities for Yammer and have just done the audit to find the status of Yammer users in O365.  We have over 2,000 users who don't have a matching O365 identity.  A couple questions:

1. I know that one of the users in Yammer who does not have an associated O365 identity recently had a primary smtp email change.  I do see a user account in O365 user management, but it's associated with her 'old' primary smtp email.  In Yammer, we've updated this by doing a bulk update.  How does this work in O365 when primary email addresses are updated?  Does the O365 identity need to be updated?  Once we switch to O365 identities, will bulk updated still need to be performed in Yammer for primary smtp email changes?

2. We have domains merged in our Yammer network.  I noticed all of those users who have domains merged do not have an associated O365 identity.  I did have our AD team add those domains to our O365 tenant, however all of them are in a 'setup in progress' status in O365 portal, just needing the last step of updating your name server DNS records.  I'm not sure what that means. Does that have to be done for all our merged domains?  Our AD team didn't think we had to do that.  Will those users with merged domains 'automatically' get an O365 identity when we do the swtich? 

3 Replies
Hi Erin, good to see you are preparing for the O365 identities within Yammer. I'll try to answer your questions: 1. if the primary address of the user matches on both sides he will sign in correctly. after the O365 identitie switch there should be no need to do bulk updates anymore. 2. if you switch to O365 identities all Yammer users should have a O365 identity as well. Are the domains already verified and the users present with Yammer license and ID? The Main ID is always within O365 (or AAD). When you enforce Office 365 identities for Yammer, any user without a corresponding Office 365 identity will be locked out of Yammer. You can find a support article describing the behavior here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Enforce-Office-365-identity-for-Yammer-users-008f940b-6bec-... Hope that helps

Thanks Martina, that helps.  So as a specific example, say in Yammer we have a user ErinEScupham@JohnDeere.com but in O365 her associated account is ErinScupham@JohnDeere.com (no middle initial).  Her Primary SMTP email is actually the one in Yammer (with the middle initial).  So question I have is why isn't the O365 user updated to be her primary SMTP email address?  

you should use the O365 identity and have the correct primary SMTP address here as O365 identities are the ones which are used.