Tenant to Tenant migrations - User switch on client

Brass Contributor

I will plan a tenant migration.

I tried to recreate this with test accounts, everything worked for the tenant to tenant migration.

The switch for the user to the client is less clear for me. As soon as everything is on the new tenant, the user has to register again. What's the best order after logging on Windows?

• Unlink old Onedrive account an add the new one
  • Log off Teams an Log in
  • Create new Outlook profile an add the email from the new tenant an register outllok (for office license)
  • open Word, Excel, PP and Log in for Office register an link onedrive?

As i saw aad registered has no influence on the task above

Hence my question: How are the easiest steps to switch the user to the new tenant?

Maybe important. The domain is also contained in the new tenant

6 Replies

@RomanK7 

Hi, unfortunately there is currently no easy way to do this.  As you say, you need to manually reconfigure everything you have listed on the client side.  The only other option you have in tenant to tenant migrations is that some third-party migration tools have email profile reconfiguration tools.  These can usually be deployed either by pushing out a group policy, or by getting the users to download a link.  

My experience with these profile tools is that they generally aren't too reliable though and cause more problems than they solve.  Really the best way to get through a tenant to tenant migration as painlessly as possible is to have effective user communications and instructions on what they will need to do to reconfigure their devices once the cutover and DNS changes have been made.

Hi @PeterRising 

Thanks for your answer.

In this case, my tests coincide exactly with what you write. Found something similar and it is quite tedious. The problem is, some of the users are not well versed for such work (changes on your settings).

Many people find it difficult to create a new Outlook profile- even if good documentation is available.

And there are quite a few instructions what to do after the migration :)

But we find a way and maybe there’s another helpful tip

@RomanK7 

After so many years of completing tenant to tenant migrations, I'm surprised at how little the user experience has improved.  These types of migrations are becoming more and more common and this will only continue. I agree that a lot of users will struggle with what we would perceive as a simple task of setting up a new email profile.  IT pros will spend a lot of time helping with such tasks remotely in these situations.

@PeterRising 

I'm also amazed at that. Microsoft could really simplify tenant to tenant migration. And then make something available for the client migration. Something user-friendly :)

May I ask you a question. In what order have you had the best experience after login on windows (after the tenant migraiton)?

Well, when Microsoft fails to address some scenarios, ISVs usually step in, and this applies here as well. At least few vendors offer "client reconfiguration" for t2t scenarios, of course you have to buy their migration product :)

@Vasil Michev 

Although I've used various good T2T migration tools, I've yet to encounter one that had a profile configuration tool which was flawless.  It's simply easier to manually reconfigure the profiles I find.