Synchronizing Office365 users to Azure AD

Copper Contributor

I have noticed that when we provision a user in the Office 365 Admin portal, a user is provisioned in Azure AD for our tenant.  When this user is provisioned, only the most basic information is synchronized, like user, password, and group membership.  Is there a way to have the users physical address synchronize as well?

7 Replies

Hi @Russ Burden 

Azure AD is the Identity Service used by all Microsoft 365 services.

If you create a user from the O365 portal, it's actually created in Azure AD.

Like when you create a user in Exchange on-prem, it's actually created in the local AD.

That being said, if you fill in the address information in O365, it should also show up in AAD.

I just tested and this works for me.

What attributes don't you see in AAD?

@Thijs Lecomte What I have is,  for instance,  address.  If I create a user with no address, but update it later,  the update is not synchronized to the AAD object.  I have several users that have addresses in o365 Admin that are not populated in AAD.

I just checked and updating the address field from admin center sync to AAD.
These aren't sync'ed users right? They were created in O365 admin?

@Thijs Lecomte These are cloud only accounts created in o365 admin.  Does it sync the reverse, from AAD to 365?

@Russ Burden 

They should always be in sync (there might a delay of a few minutes though).

Can you create a test user and test if you create if without address and then update the address that it doesn't sync?

Hello@Russ Burden ! 
Office365 and Azure AD should always be in sync, if its cloud only users.  However there might be a delay sometimes. 

Try and edit a users street, department or other information and wait to see if it syncs :) 
You could also check the users information in Delve to see if it synced there. 

Kind Regards
Oliwer Sjöberg