My biggest O365 fear is having to change my password

Iron Contributor

I hate having to change my password. I hate it because I have to type the password in over 50 times to have it changed. Yes, over 50 times! So far I've typed it in 23 times and this is just on my main laptop. Not only am I still having problems here, I still have my phone, two iPads and my Surface Pro to update. It is a nightmare.

I have to change my password through a browser, Outlook and Skype for Business. I've had to change it for ON 2016 five times. OneDrive is failing to sync - there is no 'change password' option/button/link as with Word etc. With these you have to wait, close, logout, shutdown or some other completely unreasonable 'break' for a dialogue box to pop and ask you for a password …. again.

It is TOTALLY unreasonable of MS to push people to the cloud if you cannot get the most fundamental aspect of authentication to work. MS cannot say you have not had feedback, I personally have been giving this feedback for YEARS.

So MS, instead of updating icons and changing colours and making other totally annoying changes to the UI (which further degrade productivity), why don't you please attend to this fundamental feature and fix the sign on issue?

8 Replies
Obviously you haven't been paying attention to Passwordless sign on coming soon and other tid bits around this. Also if you have a proper Seamless Sign-On setup, changing passwords aren't as a big of a deal with that and or azure joined devices and if you have the Microsoft Authenticator on mobile that handles the transition easy on the mobile front.

Yeah it's far from perfect, but it's not as doomsday as you make it out and the passwordless option is looking real nice. .

@Chris Webb, you're right, I am not across Passwordless sign on 'coming soon'. Nor other 'tid bit's'. But I am across the pain I expereince every 90 days when I have to change passwords.

Further, doomsday is your word, nightmare is mine. For me it's been a nightmare for years in spite of so many 'coming soons'. That said, I am hopeful that this particular 'coming soon' will deliver the goods.

In the meantime, if there are set-up approaches to deliver a 'proper Seamless Sign-On' I'd be grateful if you could explicate these.

With thanks

Thank you, I will.

From the documentation "Single Sign-On (Seamless SSO) automatically signs in users when they are on their corporate desktops that are connected to your corporate network."

Sadly that's not applicable to me.

Just to give you more of a sense of this lunacy, here we are the afternoon of the day after password change and, on returning from a meeting I'm greeted by three MS O365 login dialogue boxes ... again.

Seamless sign on and enabling modern auth both help alleviate these prompts. Or if your computer is joined directly to azure you have built in sso as well.

@Chris Webb

I had though modern authentication was the default for O365?

I took away from the link you provided yesterday that 'seamless sign-on' was only applicable to computers connected to a corporate network?

Perhaps I am missing something?

So we can assume your PC is not joined to an Active Directory and presumably from the above not joined to Azure AD either. Therefore each app has its own password dialog box, especially if your browser is not IE/Edge or Win10 for your OS. So join to Azure AD if you can, or if not why not just stop changing your password so often. Pick a unique hard to guess password that has not been used before and set that and never change it again. Then when asked to save your credentials say yes.