Locked out of my o365 global admin account

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

Today I enabled MFA on my o365 global admin account.

I have the mobile number and email address configured in my security profile also.

When I tried to sign in I was only offered authenticator app verification. 

The app is not configured and when I selected other sign in options I could not select call back or mobile text  options.

I called MS to explain the situation and they told me to expect a call from the data protection team.

It has been several hours already, but no one has called back.

Therefore I have called back MS support who just sent another email to the data protection team to solicit them.

I need to do urgent administration work, but  can't sign in due to the above problem.

I find this is poor support by microsoft. 

Is there any other way?

Thanks

4 Replies

@AlfredB 
This is why you always should have a "break the glass" account available, I guess you do not have any other account with high privileges available?
Just for test, open a new browser and run it in private mode and test once more. I guess that SMS/Phone method have been disabled, and that's why you can't use those methods.
Do you have a CSP partner, that have permissions to your tenant? They should be able to help you in that case.

@Pontus Själander 

Hi Pontus,

thank you for the reply.

I don't have an additional global admin account to fix this.

Also don't have a CSP partner.

I have been waiting 13 hours for a callback from MS data protection team and have not received it yet.

My client is paying MS around $650 for such terrible support.

Alright, I hope that it will get solved as soon as possible! But please, learn from this and always make sure to have an way into a tenant if miss configurstions occurs
Was the problem resolved? How long did it take?
I just did the same thing last night on my GCC High Tenant and I'm the only Global admin.