All Office 365 desktop programs gets account error after Microsoft update

Copper Contributor

We are using a hybrid Office 365 environment. All users are on MFA and SSO. We have a few users who updated their computers to newer Windows 10 Enterprise OS builds ver. 2004 build 19041.985, plus the 2021-06 Cumulative Updates KB5003637 and Update for Win 10 2004 KB4023057. After the updates go through about 6 of our users have issues with account on their Office programs. One issues I notice is Outlook 2016 desktop account status says disconnected, trying to connect or need password and they get that flashing sign in pop up but can't actually do anything. All the other Office programs like Word, Excel, OneNote, Access etc..all get the account error "Sorry we can't to your account right now on the top of their initials. When we try to sign in it just loops and doesn't let us sign in. The only temporary fix I have found is either remove them off of MFA or move back to the last OS build. I am not sure what happening or how to fix the issue.

5 Replies

@Wallace Chu 

I'm having the exact same issue. Just curious if you've found a fix? 

Try running the following commands on CMD:
1-
Reg delete HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
yes
Net stop wuauserv >NUL
Cd C:\windows
rmdir softwaredistribution /s /q
Net start wuauserv >NUL

2-
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

3-
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

4-
sfc /scannow
No problem buddy. Also, please run Windows updates again after running the commands.
I just got response from one of our contributors to try the steps below. I haven't tried yet but will find out what happens.