rd web access and dual monitors

Copper Contributor

I am trying to work from home myself and have a problem that I haven't been able to resolve. Our environment is Windows Server 2016 using RD Web Access to connect. At the office I have two monitors that are 19" and 1280x1024. At home I have two monitors that are 24" and 1920x1080. I edited the aspx page so that I can select to use both monitors but the display never works. The typical result is my left hand display from the office taking up about two thirds of my left hand monitor at home and the right hand monitor at the office displays right against that and takes the remaining third of my home left hand monitor and spans over to the home right hand monitor, breaking up that display and then it starts over again in the remaining space on the home right hand monitor. There needs to be a better way to control how two monitors work together. My situation or something similar can't be that uncommon.

7 Replies

Are you able to customize the browser's size so it fit on one screen?

So let say you enter Remote Desktop Web and then resize browser to fit the page you like, is there any issue what that?

One trick is to set it for one monitor only and adjust it the way you like and then extend it and see if that is possible. 

It's not a question of the browser. Once the rd web window is open it's independent of the browser. @Reza_Ameri-Archived 

It depends on your configuration, you could setup to show session inside browser. If it configured to opens separately, then configuration should be done in personalize setting of the remote PC and then one that user is accessing.

I don't see a way to keep the session inside the browser as an option. @Reza_Ameri-Archived 

@Jim_Satterfield   Every time you use the Remote Web portal to your server and click to initiate a RDP session, it downloads an RDP file to your default downloads folder, then runs it. 

It's entirely valid to save the most recent RDP and re-use it indefinitely and skip the web portal for future sessions.   This allows you to use custom settings right at your client level - instead of relying on the settings as defined by the Server 2016 portal settings (which IMO are a bit wonky.)

Once you've saved off that RDP file, you can right click it and select Edit.  Go to the Display tab and UNselect "Use all my monitors" then Re-select it, also make sure the slider is set to use Full Screen, then click back to the General tab and save.  Use that RDP file for all future sessions once you get the settings right for your needs.

If you have more than two monitors, there is a "secret method" to enable more (if that's what you want) or even force the use of a sub-set of your available monitors.   See this write-up from Scott Hanselman for details on how to make that work:

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToRemoteDesktopFullscreenRDPWithJustSOMEOfYourMultipleMonitors.asp...

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your help. On my system it saves the rdp file to a different location under appdata. Unfortunately when I try using it I get a message saying that my RD Gateway server is temporarily unavailable. Interestingly enough if I am in IE and click on the QuickSessionCollection button I get the same error message. But it lets me use the Connect to a remote PC feature with no problem. @NetDef 

@JimSatterfield there is possibility to do that so you have experience of remote access inside browser but you need to do certain configuration and it is not easy.