Mac Users Receiving "Please Wait" screen while using DUO with Microsoft RDP

Copper Contributor

If this is the wrong place to put this, I'm sorry, but I was told by Microsoft support to submit my question on here, as there may be experts that can better assist me. If there's a more suitable place on techcommunity for questions like these, please let me know!

We’re running into an issue with our Macintosh users who are remoting into Windows 10 systems with DUO security installed for secondary authentication. They are encountering a blue “Please Wait” screen that appears either after logging in after previously being in a session, or walking away and letting the computer idle for at least 5 minutes. The blue screen shows up on the remote system side, aka on the Windows 10 system, and only appears when a secondary authentication is installed. Macintosh users are using the latest version of Microsoft Remote Desktop on the Mac App Store. Windows users do not encounter this issue at all.

I contacted DUO about this issue and they said:

"The Duo RDP client makes use of windows credential providers in the MS protected GINA environment to apply Duo 2FA.

The Duo RDP client is called by the Windows Logon process.

Primary authentication is a windows process that Duo does not interfere in, once primary auth has succeeded the Duo RDP client will add the additional requirement of completing 2FA.

The Please Wait screen is not a Duo screen and unrelated to Duo Authentication.

The Duo integration uses Microsoft credential providers to require 2FA after primary authentication has succeeded.

These are Microsoft credential providers and speak to the windows logon process to either approve or deny authentication.

The windows OS still builds the session."

They also said

"This is the job of the OS.

You will need to work with Microsoft Support as to why the session is failing to load if it was not ended properly."

So I'm here to find out if anyone knows anything about this problem. Thank you!

4 Replies
Would you mind take an screenshot of the Please Wait message and post it here?
Have you installed the latest update for Microsoft RDP?

Hi @cademellein,

Did you have any resolution for this?

I have a similar set up here, just without the DUO system and more recent versions of everything, including macOS Monterey, Windows 11 and Remote Desktop version 10.7.10 (2028). Normally this all works just fine but every now and then I get the same issue you describe. It's been doing it pretty much since I moved to Monterey and Windows 11. It never happened using Big Sur and Windows 10.

To live with the issue (rather actually fix it, as this would require Microsoft to work out why their client isn't correctly ending the TS sessions, occasionally) I have another admin user account local to the affected PC that I log into, when this issue occurs. I then use the Task Manager to switch to the stuck session. Once in that I can close/save everything and restart the computer. Then it works just fine for a while, with me disconnecting and reconnecting without any issues until it decides to do it again, randomly.

My money is on that this is an macOS Remote Desktop client bug whereby it is not elegantly ending the RDP session and leaves the TS services on the PC in a weird state. Hopefully the macOS Remote Desktop product team are already aware of this bug and have it on their radar to fix, one day!

@Reza_Ameri 

Not entirely sure what you'll learn from this but here you go...

deejinoz_0-1671066800342.png

Also, please see my above reply to the OP for further details.

Your reply appears to ignore the critical piece of information from the OP that he is getting this when his users are connecting from Macintosh computers. Your link deals entirely with Windows only and the software the article is promoting only runs on Windows. To reiterate, this is a problem with the Microsoft Remote Desktop client running on macOS.