Keeping Our Mental State Healthy in Remote Work Situations

Iron Contributor

Working from home can definitely be a challenge for those of us used to social interaction around the office, reading body language to understand communication, or who suffer from depression or anxiety disorders. 

For me, I've done my best to make sure my desk space is setup to be ready for work and to keep clutter to a minimum. I still do my normal daily routine sans jumping on the train to get my brain prepped. I feel like I'm more productive given the ability to focus better without the distractions of an open workspaces, and I move around and take breaks more often which is better for overall health. I'm trying to increase my outside time as well to keep my mind more active and to just change scenery some.

I do notice communication is still a challenge, especially when some are WFH and others aren't, and decisions seems to be made without bringing you into them which can feel a bit isolating and demotivating. For someone with anxiety disorder, it's great fuel for the panic that can brew. I've found myself leaning on my #textabletribe and social media friends more to keep more in perspective and try to avoid that spiral.

What has everyone else's experience been, and any ways they've overcome their struggles in moving to a work from home structure? 

1 Reply

Thank you @Christopher Clai and it's a good reminder the effects WFH has on our mental health. Personally, I do 1:1 text check-ins with people I know are sick especially those living on their own. Our team has a non-mandatory Teams lunch where we fire up the 'Meet Now' function and just have a chin-wag. 

Starting next week, all my meetings from 2-3:30 are going to be phone only so I can have a walk in the park and give my eyes a break from screen time. I think it's important to schedule this in, otherwise you'll see your step count take a huge tumble from your average!

I must admit, as I walked around my apartment - it is a PIGSTY. I have let a lot of tidying up fall by the wayside! I'm going to schedule an hour for this!