Welcome to the 'Let’s Talk Mental Health' Ask Microsoft Anything (AMA)!

Bronze Contributor

Share your questions and feedback about:

• Questions about personal stories/experiences in mental health
  • Discussions on boosting/coping with mental health issues in tech
  • Ways to foster a supportive mental health community in tech

Post your questions and comments in a new thread within the Humans of IT AMA space. Members of the Microsoft team, MVPs, and guest community experts will join the conversation starting at 10:00 AM PT and will be online at various times throughout the day to respond.  

2 Replies

Welcome folks! My name is Christopher Gill. I am a Technologist, Windows Insider, and learn-it-all with a combined 17 years of experience in various Microsoft Technologies. I am passionate about learning and growing a community of experts, and am frequently found on social media sharing best practices and experiences helping others be successful in their Datacenter and Cloud management journeys. I love to spend time with my wife and two superhero children, creating and discovering with IoT, STEM, music, and culinary arts.

Most importantly, I am a mental health advocate who shares tips and experiences on social, in-person events, and within the Tribute app for the Humans of IT "Let's talk Mental health" network. I have found ways to work with (and not push away or fight) my experiences with anxiety, OCD, and ADHD, tailoring them to be superpowers or even active management techniques.

Yes, not every day is flowers and sunshine, and that's OK. Finding what works for YOU is super important, and helps YOU succeed in the long run. Breathing techinques, listening to music, journaling thoughts and feelings, creative progressions (art, reading, other), drinking enough water, and having a "textable tribe" or friend support group is important now more than ever. I do not mediate in my mental health management plan - if medication is needed as part of your plan, it's OKAY. Do what works for YOU!

With that said, let's kick this off - we look forward to your questions, thoughts, tips, and techniques in this open and safe space! Socials are listed below, so please feel free to say hello!

Microsoft Tech Community | Twitter

Good morning from Australia! While I know it's half way through the day for those of you in the US, it's the beginning of Friday for me and those of us over in the APAC region!

I'm Jess Dodson - some of you might have come across me elsewhere on the internets as GirlGerms (particularly if you're here from Twitter!). I'm now lucky enough to work for Microsoft as a Customer Engineer in Identity and Security. I've been here for just over 18 months and LOVING IT! I've been doing this kind of work now, championing sysadmins and IT operations, for over 15 years and I absolutely love it. I'm also the mum to gorgeous little 3 year old and I'm a pure geek at heart with many geeky hobbies including Lego and video games (yes, I'm a WoW tragic).

In terms of mental health, I've had a bit of a rough ride - I went undiagnosed for many years until I had a very messy breakdown around my 30th birthday. I was then diagnosed with severe anxiety, panic disorder and OCD. I also had the pleasure (HA!) of being diagnosed with post-natal depression after my little one was born.

I also know and am close to many who sit on the mental health spectrum. My other half has ADHD (diagnosed as child) and still battles with it as an adult. I am close with numerous people who suffer from anxiety, depression and PTSD. I have worked closely and continue to try and support friends of mine who are on the autism spectrum.

I think mental health needs to receive more recognition, it needs to be seen as something we all have to face at one point or another - be it personally or through someone we know - and I feel that the situation we're in now with COIVD has only exacerbated some of the issues we're facing.

So come ask me questions about how I've coped, how I've helped others cope, how you can be an ally to those who have some of these conditions. :purple_heart: