Cannot assign a PC Microsoft 365 to an existing user

Copper Contributor

After being granted a nonprofit license, I created a couple of users, selected the products to be used, and registered the Microsoft 365 products of the PCs to the newly created users. And everything worked fine.

Now, I wanted to add a new PC. I installed Microsoft 365 but, when I tried to register it under one of the existing users, I get a message that 'another account in my organization already has a session initiated on this device. Try again with a different account' (translated from portuguese, message in english may not be exactly the same).

What has happened, and what is the correct procedure to follow?

Thanks

2 Replies

Hi @Nova_Atena

You can find a troubleshooting guide here: Another account from your organization is already signed in on this computer - Microsoft 365 Apps | ...

It looks like many users have had success by following these specific steps:

• If the issue persists, sign out of all Microsoft 365 apps, remove all folders in the following locations, and then sign in again:
    • %localappdata%/Microsoft/OneAuth
    • %localappdata%/Microsoft/IdentityCache

I hope this helps resolve the issue for you.

Matt

Hi @Nova_Atena , just in case this issue is not a matter of clearing the credential cache it sounds like you're encountering an issue with Microsoft 365 licenses and device activations. Each Microsoft 365 license can be assigned to either one user or one device at a time. Users can log into up to 5 devices concurrently per license.

Based on the message you received, it seems that you're attempting to activate Microsoft 365 on a sixth device under an existing user account. To resolve this, please follow these steps:

1. Check which devices are currently signed in:

• Navigate to the top right corner, click on your name, and select "View Account."
    • Scroll down and click on "Devices" to see the list of devices currently using your Microsoft 365 license.
  2. Sign out of Microsoft 365 on one of the devices:

• Identify a device that is not in active use or remove access for that device to free up a license slot.
    • You can do this by signing out of the Microsoft 365 applications or revoking access through the device management options.
  3. Retry registering the new PC:

• After freeing up a license slot, try registering or signing into the new PC again under the desired user account.