Which Exchange Online License to use for Power BI

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have created a Microsoft Tenant through registering with Power BI.

You can assign notification groups to WorkSpaces in Power BI. These need to be Office 365 Groups.

So far it works fine but now I want to stop the sending of the Office 365 Groups Welcome Email. I googled around and found the solution for that.

$groupName = "GroupName"
$UserCredential = Get-Credential
$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
Import-PSSession $Session
Set-UnifiedGroup $groupName -UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled:$false
Remove-PSSession $Session

This is where my problem starts, I'm not allowed to execute this command because I do not have an exchange license

The following error occurred during validation in agent 'Substrate Only Agent': 'Organization "ippbi.onmicrosoft.com" i
s not licensed for Exchange email functionality. Cmdlet usage is restricted.'
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-UnifiedGroup], ProvisioningValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=VE1P189MB1149,RequestId=b45e9174-9de6-45f4-994a-e953d8b4ab64,TimeStamp=19-3-2020
    12:12:35] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ProvisioningValidationException] F7111EC1,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Recipie
  ntTasks.SetUnifiedGroup
    + PSComputerName        : outlook.office365.com

The Power BI forum referred me to the Office 365 Helpdesk, they tried to help but all we could figure that this was by design. 

So in order to not use Exchange (not sending emails) I need a cheap license to perform a cmdlet what would be a good license to do this.

2 Replies

Just sign up for the free E3 trial :) If you do want to purchase a license instead, the cheapest one should be the standalone Exchange Online plan 1.

The cheapest one is actually Exchange Online Kiosk, half the price of EOP1

Comes with 2GB mailbox, so for somebody who does not want to use email at all, it's more than sufficient.