want to restrict sender

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I want to restrict who can send email to a mail enabled distribution group, but I get error when I try to add sender list.

I do not have a on-premise exchange server, but i have domain controller

alexrabbi_0-1639757554233.png

I found this link but not sure if i can run this command on a production server     Set-Mailbox -Identity "Robin Wood" -AcceptMessagesOnlyFrom "Lori Penor","Jeff Phillips" -AcceptMessagesOnlyFromDLMembers "Legal Team 1"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients/user-mailboxes/message-delivery-restrictions?vi...

Thanks 

Alex

3 Replies
As the message says, this needs to be changed in your on-premises org. Same applies to management for any other Exchange recipients and their attributes, when you are using DirSync/AAD Connect, Which in turn is the reason why Microsoft only supports configurations where you have at least one Exchange box on premises for management purposes.

Anyway, for your scenario you need to make sure that the AD Schema is extended with the Exchange attributes, after which you will be able to change the relevant properties via the AD tools. That's still not considered a "supported" configuration, but is what many organizations in your situation do. Look up the detailed instructions online, in case you need them.
Thanks for response.

Can i request if you can provide any url 's which explain this

I have 2 domain controller on premise and O365 exchange on cloud

if i download Exchange Server 2019 (KB5003612): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=103241 

and run  the command

.\Setup.EXE /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

on my domain controller is it going to install a full version of Exchange ?  

I understand, since it is main DC installing full version of exchange on DC is not recommended, please advice.

Basically i am doing this to extend schema(AD/Exchange ) so that i get those delivery management  options in Exchange admin centre(EAC).

Thanks

Alex