Updating unattended EWS scripts using modern auth

Iron Contributor

Hi there,

a lot of possibilities about phasing out legacy authentication have been discussed here. But I still have a lack of information or let's say I want to find the most comfortable and most secure possibility for my customers.

Step-by-Step guide guide for powershell usage even unattended, but only in EXO V2 module

But if your scripts contain EWS connections you have to initialize a different way of authentication.

So I found the following option using MSAL, unfortunately this does not work in unattended mode.

Connect EWS API with Modern Authentication using PowerShell 

And then there is the possibility using the secure application model.

Secure application model 

I got this working now, the creation of the token for the first time has to be done interactively and the token only lasts for 90 days. I read the hint for securely saving the token to the Azure KeyVault, but how do I do this and how can I re-call this token? Is there even a better way of refreshing the token manually?

Is this now the new go-to solution for unattended EWS scripts, or do you have a even better solution?

1 Reply

OK, like I have discovered, the PartnerAccessToken does not really work for EWS. It seems the only possibility is to use the Get-MsalToken. But in first line it is interactive.
How can I get it turn to unattended?

# Provide your Office 365 Tenant Id or Tenant Domain Name
$TenantId = "contoso.onmicrosoft.com"

# Provide Azure AD Application (client) Id of your app.
# You should have configured the Delegated permission "EWS.AccessAsUser.All" in the app.
$AppClientId="xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx"  

$MsalParams = @{
    ClientId = $AppClientId
    TenantId = $TenantId   
    Scopes   = "https://outlook.office.com/EWS.AccessAsUser.All"   
}

$MsalResponse = Get-MsalToken @MsalParams
$EWSAccessToken  = $MsalResponse.AccessToken

Import-Module 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\Web Services\2.2\Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll'

# Proivde the mailbox id
$MailboxName ="email address removed for privacy reasons"

$Service = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService]::new()

# Use Modern Authentication
$Service.Credentials = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.OAuthCredentials]$EWSAccessToken

# Check EWS connection
$Service.Url = "https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx"
$Service.AutodiscoverUrl($MailboxName,{$true})
# EWS connection is Success if no error returned.

What I have done now: