SOLVED

Understanding Exchange 2019 server throttling

Brass Contributor

Can someone please explain to me what happens when an Exchange throttling policy limit is exceeded? 

For example, if I set the ExchangeMaxCmdlets setting to 6 and PowerShellMaxCmdlets to 8, and someone attempts to execute more than either of those values within a defined timeframe, what happens?  I'm thinking all executions just slow down until processing can be completed, but is this correct?  Is it only those requests that are above/beyond the limits that slow down?  Or do these requests (any in the pipeline or just those that exceed the limits) not just slow down, but do they actually fail completely?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by PMorgan_1116 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You get the "micro delay applied" message and then you might get blocked. See for example https://www.quadrotech-it.com/blog/office-365-exchange-online-powershell-throttling/

You can try to disable all throttling parameters for an admin account called "MigrationWiz":

1. Open the Exchange Management Shell.
  2. Type the following command and press Enter:

New-ThrottlingPolicy MigrationWizPolicy

3. Type the following command and press Enter:

Set-ThrottlingPolicy MigrationWizPolicy -RCAMaxConcurrency Unlimited -EWSMaxConcurrency Unlimited -EWSMaxSubscriptions Unlimited -CPAMaxConcurrency Unlimited -EwsCutoffBalance Unlimited -EwsMaxBurst Unlimited -EwsRechargeRate Unlimited

4. Type the following command and press Enter:

Set-Mailbox "MigrationWiz" -ThrottlingPolicy MigrationWizPolicy

Option 2: Disable throttling against all user accounts (if migrating using an admin account and using impersonation). This way the admin account can migrate at a faster rate because it impersonates user accounts, which are not subjected to throttling.

Regards,

Akshay

Office 365 migration Consultant

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PMorgan_1116 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You get the "micro delay applied" message and then you might get blocked. See for example https://www.quadrotech-it.com/blog/office-365-exchange-online-powershell-throttling/

View solution in original post