TLS 1.2 and Exchange 2010 Hybrid

Steel Contributor

Hi all

Hope everyone is well. Had a question about the whole deprecation of TLS 1.0 and 1.1. I have an Exchange 2010 hybrid organization. I see my on-premise Exchange server sends out email to Office 365 using TLS 1.2 but does not receive email via TLS 1.2 from Exchange Online. It just says TLS next to it:

ZAF01-CT2-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com (104.47.19.175)mail.mycompany.co.za (X.X.X.X)2/3/2020 1:32:37 PM
1 second

Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS)

I know the steps required to enable the server portion for TLS 1.2 on the on-premise Exchange server.

I just wanted to confirm a few things:

1. The requirement to enable TLS 1.2 on the on-premises Exchange is just for talking to and from Exchange Online right??

2. Enabling TLS 1.2 on the on-premise Exchange server won't disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1. When Exchange Online needs to route email to my on-premise email server it try and negotiate on TLS 1.2 right??

3. I have various 3rd party solutions on-premise that relay email of the on-premise Exchange server. These solutions do not use TLS. I am planning on migrating to Exchange 2016 soon. Will I still be able use TLS 1.0 and 1.1 internally for those systems? And only when the Exchange 2016 server talks to Exchange online it will use TLS 1.2 ?

0 Replies