SOLVED

The question nobody dares to ask! How do you create a new user in a hybrid environment.

Iron Contributor

Hi, the last couple fo days the question how to create a new user in a hybrid exchange environment is floating around in my head.

Most of the time when i create a user i create a onpremise account in active directory sync this over to office 365. The next step i perform is the creation of a mailbox onprem in exchange for the user i have created. When i have done this i migrate the user mailbox to office 365, i assign a license and the user is good to go.

Is this the best way to do this? It seems more logical to create a user in AD sync this over to office365 and give them a Exchange online license. so he or she will get a mailbox directly in Office 365.

Can anyone give me an explanation what is best practice for creating a new User in a hybrid exchange environment when al the users will be synced to office365.

Thanks in advance!

44 Replies

@Joe Stocker 

Hi,

- These new mailboxes, they do not has an on prem EX 2010 mailbox.

- and in AD - there the Email field is empty too.

email.PNG

- their SMTP is now ....@onmicrosoft.com instead of the 'company" SMTP. 

May i know if enable-remotemailbox command can fix all these? 

THANK YOU

that is correct, enable-remotemailbox is designed to solve your problem. No on-premises mailbox required. It will glue the on-premises AD account to a remote mailbox that already exists in Office 365, so that the mailbox in the cloud will appear in the on-premises GAL.
the syntax should be enable-remotemailbox -identity "Josh Smith" -remoteroutingaddress jsmith@Contoso.Mail.Onmicrosoft.com (of course replace Contoso with your tenant name)
It will also fix mail routing problems that you are having but don't know about yet =) (unless you changed your accepted domain to internal relay, which would be a work-around). This article confirms what you are experiencing and shows the fix I am suggesting to you: https://misstech.co.uk/2015/01/30/remote-mailboxes-in-exchange-hybrid-configuration/

@NodorinaMing 

That usually only happens from what I've seen is if it did not provision properly.  Maybe you could use PowerShell and the MSOL service

Set-MsolUserPrincipalName -UserPrincipalName “First.Last@companyonline.mail.onmicrosoft.com” –NewUserPrincipalName “First.Last@company.com”

@Jerry Meyer 

We just started doing it this way: (Hybrid Exchange and Skype)

1. We run set-aduser, and set the minimal Exchange and Lync attributes that portray that a user has already been migrated.  (You can look at an already migrated user to see what is set at migration)

2.  Sync.

3. Assign license.

The mailbox and Skype/teams accounts are created online and believe they were migrated.  The on-prem servers are fully aware of the accounts and believes they were migrated.