SOLVED

Support for Plus Addressing in Office 365

Steel Contributor

I am sure I came across the following in our message centre, but I can no longer find it for an update.  Just tested it and it is not available yet.  Does anyone have an update?

"Plus Addressing is a great way to quickly create custom (or disposable) email addresses based off your standard email address, by simply adding a "+" suffix string to an existing email address in Office 365. For example, a plus address for kimakers@contoso.com could be something like kimakers+northwind@contoso.com that she could use to sign up for the newsletter at the Northwind web site. Then when Northwind sends a newsletter to kimakers+northwind@contoso.com it will route directly to kimakers@contoso.com. Kim could create an Inbox rule that then moves messages sent to this + address into the "Northwind" folder. Plus addressing support in Office 365 is a great way to more easily manage your Inbox, and even track mail like marketing and sales campaigns."

13 Replies
best response confirmed by Tanya Denton (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Tanya Denton ignore me it was on the roadmap and not until Q4 2020 :(

@Tanya Denton do you have any reference to the roadmap you're refering to?

@nidde Hi  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap item 'Support for Plus Addressing in Office 365'

@Tanya Denton  - Looks like it arrived early :)  This was just posted on UserVoice:

ADMIN Sean S (Admin, Microsoft Office 365) responded  ·  Sep 23, 2020

I’m pleased to announce that the plus addressing feature is now available for Exchange Admins to enable. This can be done through Powershell using the following command:
Set-OrganizationConfig -AllowPlusAddressInRecipients $true

For instructions on how to use Powershell, you can find out more here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/exchange/exchange-online-powershell-v2?view=exchange-ps

The setting may not instantly take effect so please expect a delay before you can start using plus addresses.

Regards,
The Exchange Transport team

I have enable this for my org. I have a primary smtp of first.last@domain.com and an alias of username@domain.com.
If I send from personal gmail account to first.last+test@domain.com it fails. first.last+test not found at domain.com
If I send to username+test@domain.com it gets delivered to my mailbox.
and now they both work

@jasonsch69  Good to know. This may have been due to the delay that was mentioned by the Microsoft admin who published the information.

@Kreera House brilliant thank you for letting me know.

Excellent feature !

I just deploy it but it seems does not works for DistributionGroups.

@Tanya Denton can you confirm this feature should work with DistributionGroups ? or not ?

If not, do you know if this feature will be implemented later ?

Thanks.

@jeff_casta Hi, I am afraid i don't work for Microsoft so i don't know the answer to either of your questions.

@jeff_casta 

Enable Plus Email Addresses for Distribution Lists 

Currently, Plus Addressed are only supported for mailboxes but support for Groups and Distribution Lists will be available by end of December 2020. 

As a workaround, admins can create permanent Plus Addresses using below cmdlet. 

To add Plus Address to distribution lists, 

To add Plus Address to group mailboxes, 

@Robert WoodsI still get Undeliverable email errors when trying to use a plus address with a group email i setup.  can you confirm if this was actually released in December 2020?  The group email is test@versd.co and emails work for that, and the plus address was test+one@versd.co.

Thanks!

If you are using plus addressing. have a look at this freeware: https://ivasoft.com/flexaliasesflow.shtml
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tanya Denton (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Tanya Denton ignore me it was on the roadmap and not until Q4 2020 :(

View solution in original post