SOLVED

SPF lookup Failed and i dont know why

Brass Contributor

Hi Guys. So my SPF Records looks like the following:

v=spf1 mx ip4:91.198.79.139 ip4:217.26.51.230 include:spf.surveymonkey.com include:_spf.salesforce.com include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:et._spf.pardot.com include:aspmx.pardot.com include:spf.mail.hostpoint.ch include:spf.abacuscity.ch ~all

I know its a lot.  So when one of the server on hostpoint.ch (217.26.49.146) tries to send an email to Office 365 i get the following result:

Authentication-Results: spf=none (sender IP is 217.26.49.146)

smtp.mailfrom=p12.server.hostpoint.ch; noser.com; dkim=none (message not

signed) header.d=none;noser.com; dmarc=fail action=quarantine

header.from=noser.com;compauth=fail reason=000

Received-SPF: None (protection.outlook.com: p12.server.hostpoint.ch does not

designate permitted sender hosts)

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? The sender IP should be included in the record of hostpoint.ch....

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Lephas (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Lephas 

You have too many dns lookups in your spf record.  SPF has a max of 10 dns lookups so it appears that you reached the max before it reached include:spf.mail.hostpoint.ch

Take a deeper look at your SPF and try to clean it up.  IP addresses do not count as a look so convert to IP where you can.

@Michael_Larrivee Thank you so much. I was suspecting this might be the cause but i was never sure! I will reduce the includes and am sure that will solve the problem.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Lephas (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Lephas 

You have too many dns lookups in your spf record.  SPF has a max of 10 dns lookups so it appears that you reached the max before it reached include:spf.mail.hostpoint.ch

Take a deeper look at your SPF and try to clean it up.  IP addresses do not count as a look so convert to IP where you can.

View solution in original post