Setup Exchange 2013 hybrid environment

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

We have an on-premise Exchange 2013 server and would like to migrate to Exchange Online. 

We have an internal discussion if we first must migrate the current Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2019 and then setup the hybrid environment to Exchange Online or just go with Exchange 2013 and setup hybrid directly.

After the Exchange Online migration we would like to keep the on-premise server as administration server. 

We would like to know what is the best approach for this.

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies
Hello there hope you had a nice weekend!

Since Exchange server 2013 has its EOL (End Of Life) In 2023 (Next year) I would recommend that you upgrade to Exchange 2019 before you set up the Hybrid.

Also something to keep in mind regarding Administration moving forward is that Microsoft a few days ago announced that they now support removing the last Exchange server in a hybrid (For Exchange Server 2019) So this could be interesting for you if you after the hybrid setup dont have a need to relay emails via the on-prem Exchange. :) And as long as you feel comfortable working in Powershell for administation.
you can read more about it here (Under the Exchange Management Tools update)
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/released-2022-h1-cumulative-updates-for-ex...

And also here for some real life pros-Cons about this change :)
https://practical365.com/removing-the-last-exchange-server/

Let me know if you need further assistance or if something I said was unclear.

Kind Regards
Oliwer Sundgren

@oliwer_sundgren Thanks for your awnser Oliwer! 

Then we go for a new Exchange 2019 Server solution with the hybrid connection.

Is there (best practice) documentation/implementation steps to add a new Exchange 2019 server to an existing environment?

Anything you could recommend in this?

Thanks in advance!

We had an internal discussion and would like to set the Exchange 2013 in Hybrid. Migrate all the mailboxes etc. to Exchange Online.
After that we would like to upgrade the Exchange 2013 (hybrid) environment to Exchange 2019 (hybrid). Is this a supported and possible option?

In this case we don't need to have 2 mailbox migrations but 1 instead.

Would like to know your thoughts on this.
Thanks!

Hello again Ivarious!
That sounds like a good plan, Exchange 2013 is not EOL yet so you dont need to stress the upgrade to 2019.

Run the HCW (Hybrid configuration Wizard) towards Exchange Online from the 2013 server and migrate mailboxes at your own pace, thats a project in itself ;)

Upgrading from Exchange 2013 to 2019 is supported, 2013 and 2019 can co-exist and then after the upgrade the 2013 server can be uninstalled. Just make sure to re-run the HCW from the 2019 server and verify that the hybrid works between the 2019 server and Exchange online before uninstalling Exchange server 2013.

This tool is amazing to help with Exchange Server deployments and upgrades. I suggest you use that when you're ready to deploy Exchange Server 2019 :D
https://assistants.microsoft.com/exchangedeployment

Good luck and let me know if you need more assistance on the way! :)

Kind Regards
Oliwer
Thanks for your quick and clear explanation Oliwer! We're going to run it this way. Thanks!
Good luck! And let me know if further questions come to mind :)

Cheers!